got ethical husbandry?

Rolf’s 125

Corallus

Supporting Member
As of yesterday, I can officially start my build thread for this one. I was lucky enough to be on the lookout for a ~120-ish tank, when Bennet listed his for sale.
With some heroic help from a couple of members of the club, got the tank and stand moved into my place 2 weeks ago. A 40g breeder tank was being used as a sump, and I really wanted to replace it something acrylic, and decided on a CWT Aquatics sump. It arrived at the end of last week, I went plumbing shopping, and then spent all day Saturday getting it ready to hold water.

At noon.
1EF4DD54-3A3A-45E3-ACF0-F1AE0072B989.jpeg
57666266-7D35-430B-B0FA-623DA0059495.jpeg

A little after 8pm
59B3FE0D-0D3C-4230-808B-CD39CBC41D5C.jpeg
8D1C2DD3-94E6-4026-808F-0C3FA21E3BEF.jpeg

Footprint is 5’x2’, 21” tall. 3x1-1/2” drains through the attached external glass overflow and 2x1” returns. Going to make a lot of RODI water, and try to get it leak tested today.

Are you going to run an algae scrubber?

Ironically, not right now. I liked that sump for a few reasons; it had 1 1/2 drain inlets, it was 20“ front to back, so it fit exactly where I wanted it to, and it doesn’t have a bunch of separate chambers. I really like just one open area for all the gear I want to run.

Spent Sunday and then Monday making RODI. That took a long time... then yesterday fired up the return to test for leaks. About 10 seconds later, I realized there are better ways to do that. Next time I’ll test my overflow bulkheads with just a cup of water. There were several leaks, but nothing that couldn’t be fixed by hand tightening bulkheads and unions. Got the flow and gate valve set to be not terribly loud, but I need to replace the pipe on open line of the drain with a piece just a little taller, and the emergency as well, to raise the water level in the overflow, and I think it’ll be pretty quiet. It’s a little waterfall-y right now. Washed and added 3x40lb bags of dry sand, dropped in a couple of filter socks and some old heaters, and let it run overnight. Was still hazy this morning, but not too bad, so I added salt up to 1.020 (following dr. Tim recommendation), then a bottle of his bacteria, and NH4Cl to ~1.5ppm NH3. I will be moving over rock and a big block of marinepure from my current tank, but I want to get bacteria started in the new sand before.

Starting to look like an aquarium!
A09905E1-B80A-43F8-B900-A293B23BB327.jpeg

Thanks Mario! Especially because you gave me the little knop c I’ve been using on my current tank for the past few years. I may be reaching out to you in a couple of weeks to take you up on the offer :)

Back