Our mission

Sale price

Honestly it would be kinda nice.. at least for me, def don’t can’t or want to speak for the group
I required it on the BAR facebook page if that matters. The only justification not to on the BAR website itself is a seller may give discounts to people he/she knows well and has done deals with before, but that doesn't preclude a price on the listing anyway.

Usually the ONLY reason people do this is they want someone to inquire so they can say "make an offer," which is a stupid way to do business anyway. :)

I just wonder. It nice to see list price. I am lazy to send pm for price. I know it does not take long to send message but it less convenient. I understand, BAR is not xxx, yyy, zzz. and that not speak for all members here.

I thought it was a requirement, but just not well-enforced. Vaguely remember discussion about this before. I just checked the BST rules sticky we updated last year and didn’t see it in there. We can bring it up at the next Board meeting. If someone who feels strongly wants to join the meeting remotely and advocate for it it would be helpful.

Does anyone feel we are better off not having this rule?

I thought it was a requirement, but just not well-enforced. Vaguely remember discussion about this before. I just checked the BST rules sticky we updated last year and didn’t see it in there. We can bring it up at the next Board meeting. If someone who feels strongly wants to join the meeting remotely and advocate for it it would be helpful.

I do. The negotiation of price is a private affair between the seller and buyer otherwise we would be eBay for fish.

Again -- I think the only justification for not listing a price is so they can reply to interest in the item with a "make me an offer." Make me an offer isn't a business philosophy so much as the hope to rip someone off. Prices should be listed, and enforced, and that in no way inhibits private negotiations after that point.

I think the reason other forums have this (e.g., r2r) is because they didn’t want bidding wars or auction style posts to occur in their for sale threads on their site (or for this auctioning to happen in private). Nothing about listing a firm price precludes you from negotiating the price lower than the asking price in private.

I'm ok with no sale price as long we make a it a rule that the seller can not get upset if someone low balls them, take away their childhood stuffed animal as a penalty!

Listing the price just let's everyone know what the seller has in mind.
If the seller lists $$ firm vs OBO, then we know not to bother the seller or to f/u.
Listing the location is also very important! If someone is selling something for a great price but lives over an hour away then it's not worth it for me to even have a discussion with the seller. I've seen posts where people say then want an item for a given price, but then later post "Never mind" because the location is too far.
Having your location show up when you scroll over the avatar didn't work out because people refuse to do it or don't know that they can.

The rule would not try to prevent people from negotiating a price privately. Listing a price is always an asking price. We are not going to be eBay for fish, no one is suggesting we would be in the middle of the transaction, processing payments, etc. Being a marketplace is not our Mission, we have it just to help our members.

A lot of people see offering something for sale without a price listed as a way to try to take advantage of others in the bargaining phase (either way). Alternatively, some people post without a price because they truly don’t know what something is worth or don’t really care exactly how much it goes for. Some people generally just steer clear of sales without prices listed because they are turned off by the potential for drama/bargaining, even though they would otherwise be interested.

I think it is in the club’s interest to have as few instances as possible of one member taking advantage of another member (or the perception of this). The more straightforward the sale the better in this regard, and listing asking prices is one small way to help.

The rule would not try to prevent people from negotiating a price privately. Listing a price is always an asking price. We are not going to be eBay for fish, no one is suggesting we would be in the middle of the transaction, processing payments, etc. Being a marketplace is not our Mission, we have it just to help our members.

A lot of people see offering something for sale without a price listed as a way to try to take advantage of others in the bargaining phase (either way). Alternatively, some people post without a price because they truly don’t know what something is worth or don’t really care exactly how much it goes for. Some people generally just steer clear of sales without prices listed because they are turned off by the potential for drama/bargaining, even though they would otherwise be interested.

I think it is in the club’s interest to have as few instances as possible of one member taking advantage of another member (or the perception of this). The more straightforward the sale the better in this regard, and listing asking prices is one small way to help.
Sounds like you already made up your mind.

Back