Our mission

Santa Monica Turf Algae Scrubber

They are not the same.
Most the waterfall style algae scrubber acts the similar as water fall into the mesh and light cause Green hair algae to grow and sticks on the mesh. Algae scrubber grows green hair algae in at a very fast pace. So I think any brand is similar.
Chaeto reactor only grows chaeto but at a much slower rate compare to Green hair algae.

Last edited:
They are not the same.
Most the algae scrubber acts the same as water fall into the mesh and light cause Green hair algae to grow and sticks on the mesh. Algae scrubber grows green hair algae in at a very fast pace. So I think any brand is similar.
Chaeto reactor only grows chaeto but at a much slower rate compare to Green hair algae.
So does it remove algae from growing in the DT?

Your algae scrubber grow light has to be strong enough to out compete your DT light. Then the algae in your DT will slow down, but you still need to remove whatever algae is still in your DT.

Your algae scrubber grow light has to be strong enough to out compete your DT light. Then the algae in your DT will slow down, but you still need to remove whatever algae is still in your DT.
Keep in mind algae grazers are in a display tank while not in your scrubber or reactor.

Keep in mind algae grazers are in a display tank while not in your scrubber or reactor.
Which grazers are reef safe? I kinda reluctant to get more fish or inverts that do a 180 and start munching on things that they were not supposed to be munching on.

Which grazers are reef safe? I kinda reluctant to get more fish or inverts that do a 180 and start munching on things that they were not supposed to be munching on.
Tangs, Rabbitfish, Lawnmower Blennies are all in my tank and keep the algae out, in addition to clean up crew.

The unclear point I was trying to make is that the light in the scrubber or reactor doesn't necessarily need to out compete the light in the display. Algae can grow in two separate places, the display with grazers to keep the algae down and a reactor that you can manually remove algae from.

I run a waterfall Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS).
Have for many years.
In fact, if you look at the old scrubber forums, I was one of the first to start using LED effectively.

There are many different types of algae scrubbers, and they are definitely not all the same.
I am more in favor of the waterfall style.

I am not really a fan of the Santa Monica one.
I like the Floyd-R-Trubo one.
Not sure on others.

An ATS is concetually the same as a clump of chaeto in the sump. Algae "eats" the nutrients, then you pull out the algae.
But that is like comparing a civic and a ferrari.
And like the civic / ferrari:
- An ATS can reduce nutrients FAST compared with Chaeto.
- Fast is not always a good thing, and can kill.

Personal opinion:
If you have a FOWLR, definitely consider an ATS.
If you have a reef with too many fish and endless nutrient issues, consider an ATS.
If you have a nice working reef, don't "fix" it by adding an ATS. Too much risk.

I run a waterfall Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS).
Have for many years.
In fact, if you look at the old scrubber forums, I was one of the first to start using LED effectively.

There are many different types of algae scrubbers, and they are definitely not all the same.
I am more in favor of the waterfall style.

I am not really a fan of the Santa Monica one.
I like the Floyd-R-Trubo one.
Not sure on others.

An ATS is concetually the same as a clump of chaeto in the sump. Algae "eats" the nutrients, then you pull out the algae.
But that is like comparing a civic and a ferrari.
And like the civic / ferrari:
- An ATS can reduce nutrients FAST compared with Chaeto.
- Fast is not always a good thing, and can kill.

Personal opinion:
If you have a FOWLR, definitely consider an ATS.
If you have a reef with too many fish and endless nutrient issues, consider an ATS.
If you have a nice working reef, don't "fix" it by adding an ATS. Too much risk.
Thanks! That was very informative. I've already decided that I don't need one of these. Thanks to the information mentioned by all.

Back