Seahorse help

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by Fish Boss, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Fish Boss

Fish Boss Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

Thinking about starting a seahorse tank, I would love any tips and tricks from you guys. Correct me if any of my current knowledge is wrong.

So far, I've read:

Tall tanks are best!
    Feed multiple times a day,
    Center the tank around the seahorses, I.E. Don't toss them in my current reef,
    Captive bred is best!
    Low-ish flow,
    Need a hitching post

2. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I’ve wondered if I could possibly house a few in my sump. I’ll be tagging along watching this thread.

3. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I believe keeping temp in the low 70s helps to minimize chance of bacterial infection.

5. Kremis

Kremis Guest

keep the tank clean. oversize skimmer etc
    mysis is one of the best foods for seahorses
    and yes keep tank 70-74

6. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

Is that true for all species or does it vary?

7. Fish Boss

The tropical species ( warmest ) are best kept no higher than 74 degrees. The others need to be kept at that temp or lower depending on where they come from in the world

8. Fish Boss

Ok guys, I think I'm going to start off with the dwarves! Now my question is, do I buy a bare 5 gal and keep it real simple, or take my 10 gal and partition 4 gals off for overflow. Hmmmmmmm

9. iani

iani Guest

If you are talking about H. zostera you have to hatch baby brine shrimp.

10. Kremis

Kremis Guest

no clue about dwarf seahorses. i read they only accept live food though

11. Raidernation08

Raidernation08 Supporting Member

when i was looking to get one the guys at Manhattan reefs told me to first choose the species i wanted (captive bred) and it would be better to do a only seahorse tank and/or pipefish cause they are hard to feed (2x a day) the tank would be low flow, tank mates will be somewhat specific(blennies, firefish) like the food they eat(mysis shrimp). the info is out there but from what ive seen is that seahorse=seahorse tank and what that species demands. there really cool but to needy for me.

12. xcaret

xcaret Guest

Well, just in case ( and I just remembered) you decide for a bigger, in the tall side tank,
    I happen to have a hex plexi tank, black back. I could not find purpose for it other than a nice ATO reservoir with an odd shape for such.

13. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

That sounds like it would be great for seahorses.

14. Fish Boss

I'd definitely like to check out that tank if I decide to try out the bigger seahorses.

15. Fish Boss

So my current idea is to turn my 10 gallon into a peninsula style aio, with the first chamber being skimmer and heater, second chamber fuge, 3 chamber return pump. i'll fiddle around with this project on my next days off this week

16. xcaret

xcaret Guest

I'm in SF, I'll try to get a picture of the tank.

17. xcaret

xcaret Guest

Tank is 24 high 15 front to back, took a picture but don't know where I moved it, sd, phone, online...

18. xcaret

xcaret Guest