Cali Kid Corals

Smart Buddie noisy

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
Just setup a new RO system from BRS together with a Smart Buddie. But it sounds bad and never reaches 85 psi. Sound on.

Normal per the manual...

image.jpg

I agreed, I have one too and it sounded very similar. The psi don't go up to 85 might due to two things. Ur pressure is low to begin with and second because you are running a 100GPD RODI system. When I run a 75GPD my psi reach to 90ish, once I added a water saver membrane to 150GHD my pressure dropped down to 65psi. Thats the problem with RODI buddy, you can't adjust the pressure.

I think I have reached RO utopia.

I added a 20g pressurized tank for RO water and a Kasa plug for the Smart Buddie. It turns on at 1am and off at 6am. When it powers up, the Smart Buddie does an auto flush and then fills the tank. No TDS creep and 14g of clean RO water at 35 psi available each day. We use it for drinking, coffee and the ice maker.

From there, I have 4 DI stages: cation, anion x 2 and one mixed bed. My ATO reservoir is automatically refilled once a day using an XP Aqua Flood Guardian (adapted to use a 24v Apex accessory port). The Apex acts as a fallback in two ways: it powers on the flood guardian only for a few minutes and watches an optical sensor in case it goes wrong.

I added a 20g pressurized tank for RO water and a Kasa plug for the Smart Buddie. It turns on at 1am and off at 6am. When it powers up, the Smart Buddie does an auto flush and then fills the tank. No TDS creep and 14g of clean RO water at 35 psi available each day. We use it for drinking, coffee and the ice maker.

From there, I have 4 DI stages: cation, anion x 2 and one mixed bed. My ATO reservoir is automatically refilled once a day using an XP Aqua Flood Guardian (adapted to use a 24v Apex accessory port). The Apex acts as a fallback in two ways: it powers on the flood guardian only for a few minutes and watches an optical sensor in case it goes wrong.
Living the dream!!! I got prefiltered water to the ice maker and never got to the pressure tank for drinking. That’s awesome. Nice work!

I am not sure if it is drool, or ro water on my jeans.

I just realized that I no longer need an ATO reservoir and a pump. I can just hook up the ATK to the flood guardian solenoid since I have several gallons of water already stored and pulling water for small top offs won't result in TDS creep since it comes from the RO tank...

The only thing better than adding equipment is...removing equipment.

I just realized that I no longer need an ATO reservoir and a pump. I can just hook up the ATK to the flood guardian solenoid since I have several gallons of water already stored and pulling water for small top offs won't result in TDS creep since it comes from the RO tank...

The only thing better than adding equipment is...removing equipment.
The caveat to that is if your ATO fails and it dumps several gallons of water into the tank vs what's in the ATO reservoir. I have an 55g RO barrel that feeds my 10g reservoir. The worst case for me is 10g into my 190 (with sump is closer to 225). 55g into my system would be a whole lot worse. But dilution would be the least of your worries, can your tank handle all the RODI stored in RO tank?

And I'd like to ask for a clarification, when you say RO tank, you mean the tank you use for drinking water correct? Those usually don't go through a DI section, the common belief is drink large amounts of RODI is bad for your health.

Good points but my current ATO reservoir is already larger as it holds 16g vs 14g in the RO tank so I’m not introducing a new problem. And yes, it is an RO tank. The DI stages are after it.

Good points but my current ATO reservoir is already larger as it holds 16g vs 14g in the RO tank so I’m not introducing a new problem. And yes, it is an RO tank. The DI stages are after it.
In that situation, you should be ok.

So you pull RO from the tank and run it through DI before entering your system?

Correct. But the RO tank pushes, since it has an air bladder.
Another advantage is that there’s no air and dust entering this system. My ATO reservoir is covered but has several holes.

I literally have to change three things and it’s done. Switch the ilink cable on the FMM to the one powering the flood guardian. Move the water line from the PMUP to the solenoid and relocate the flood guardian’s optical sensor.

Ran into a snag. The XP Aqua flood guardian beeps loudly when it is turned on and then again when it reaches the desired water level. This was great when it was filling the ATO reservoir once a day but won’t work if it happens every time the sump is topped off.
So, some options:
  1. Buy a Neptune solenoid
  2. Use just the solenoid from the flood guardian, losing the additional optical sensor
  3. Open up the flood guardian and see whether I can disable the beeper
  4. Quit messing with what works and pull some GHA out of the tank

Back