got ethical husbandry?

Softie hold downs

I brought in some colt to work, where a friend set up a small 10g nano. He came up with a pretty clever way to secure the colt to a rock.

Basically, he took a rubber band (originally it was dental floss) and cut it into a strap, then tied each end to a ceramic ring (the rings are from a cannister filter, but anything would work), then he basically just strapped the colt to a rock using only gravity to hold the anchoring rings down on either side of the coral! After the colt attaches, he can just remove the "bolo"!

V

the white rings things? Sounds pretty easy. I will tray as well, I hate it when my softies float away. Sooner or later do you wait until the coral attachs to rock and remove the rings as well? Or do he just leave the rings there?

Once the softie takes hold, you can remove the rings. The rings just serve as anchors on either end of the string/dental floss/rubberband. When the softie has attached to the rock, just remove the rings and band.

V

Jimsar told me to just crazy glue the base of some Xenia he gave me. It seems to work. The problem with rubber band is if you do it too tight, you will rip the frag. Too soft and it floats away. Never try the netting method though.

I use rubber bands on most everything I do except single stock sps that I want to mount vertically then I use super glue gel. I make my plugs for soft corals with a fairly deep convex shape to them. When I put the rubber band or bands depending on the cutting shape it stays in place without tearing because the shape of the plug doesn't allow any squeezing of the tissue.

nukeproof said:
Jimsar told me to just crazy glue the base of some Xenia he gave me. It seems to work. The problem with rubber band is if you do it too tight, you will rip the frag. Too soft and it floats away. Never try the netting method though.

If the xenia is peeled off the rock carefully using a fingernail, it comes off with some kind of solid coating at the base. Then you crazyglue here, solid matter to solid matter, much better than tissue to rock.

Back