Our mission

Solar Lighting and Skylighting

What are you looking to do? If you are trying to do natural lighting for your tank the first one will not give you nearly enough light. IIRC doing a naturally lit tank requires a certain type of panel and need to be placed directly over the tank. The 2nd one looks like it might work. I do not know much about using natural light to light a tank, and the the few tanks I remember seeing try it have all failed. That is not to say all tanks that do it fail, just the ones I remember reading about.

Many of our corals tend to brown out in natural light (in aquariums). The places that use green houses also use lights to help color them up :)

Some don't use lights, I don't think Steve Garrett does.

this is true as well.

I ran a full outside tank for a year and a half at a friends house. It grew xenia, mushrooms, montis, and algae like no ones business. We didn't have much nuisance algae though, just what we put in there. the Coralline was what drove us to shut it down. Every week you'd have to take a jack hammer to all four sides, no joke. It was worse then cement.

I wonder how effective those "bent tubes" ones would be vs say the straight tube (with bends).

I've seen a tank or two at RC where they do either a skylight or solar tubes, there are some nice colors to be certain, however as Gresham said browning out is a big problem.

I wonder if you could surround one of those buggers with some royal blues to balance it out.

GreshamH said:
Many of our corals tend to brown out in natural light (in aquariums). The places that use green houses also use lights to help color them up :)

Some don't use lights, I don't think Steve Garrett does.

Gresh - not questioning your perception - just want some clarification...so how does the Waikiki aquarium keep such a nice SPS reef? The reef only gets direct sunlight. As i recall, there is also a beast of an emperor angel in that tank that must keep things in check.

Best,

Well for one they have a super supply of natural sea water so I suspect that helps (not an aquarium but rather an "open" system for the most part). I'd have to ask Charles about the coral selection but i assume what they have is conditioned to work and what doesn't, isn't grown any longer.

I believe the intensity of the sun in Hawaii is far superior to the intensity of the sun here. I can get a nice golden brown tan in HI but not so nice tan here in Cali.

Back