Neptune Aquatics

Sometimes it really does suck being a reefer in San Francisco.

So of course PG&E determines we're not allowed to use as much energy as those in the East Bay. But LFS? Ugh...

Went to one today as I wanted some snails to chomp down on some of this algae, 4 miles away, took about 35 minutes, parking is always a blast too (sarcasm), and of course they don't have anything in stock, so back in my car and drive home, it was a little faster in that direction, grand total a bit more than hour driving 8 miles. I briefly thought about going to the shop who's name shall not be mentioned on Clement st. because I was in the area, but I figured Saturday parking around there wouldn't be worth my trouble, I'm also consider frickin PetCo of all places too! I don't need fish, just so g.d. snails!

Out of curiosity I went to look how far away Ultimate Aquarium is, about 20 miles, eta... 25 minutes... WTF! And even more kicks and giggles, Aquatic Collection in Hayward... 35 minutes to get there from my house, sure it would have cost $5 more for bridge toll, and a little bit more in gas, but WTF San Francisco, it's no wonder you're always broke no one in their right mind would ever want to do anything in the city! And unfortunately I'll have to be making an emergency trip to a Kaiser in San Francisco, that I really don't want taking 35 frickin' minutes!

I feel your pain, I ended up making the drive down to Neptune today, and thankfully missed the current mess at 280 & 101...
Great shop, but I wish we had something comparable here!

Yeah, never even thought of Natural Life, I think someone told me about it quite a few years back, said something along the effects of good for dry goods but don't ever get the fish. Not sure if that has changed at all, it was a long time ago.

And as much as I would love to go to Neptune, that is a bit too long of a drive for me to justify unless I'm getting something big, definitely too long to "see what they have". I did see what Aquatic Collection had after the frag swap, unfortunately they didn't have much in the way of what I wanted either. Loved Chris at Aquatic Central off Ocean, it was relatively near by time wise (i.e. not in the middle of the city), parking was definitely not an issue there, and he always kept the basics relatively welly stocked.

I recommend getting in on one of Arnold's snail buys.

Also, Petco in Potrero center is quite a clean little store. The person in charge obviously has reef experience and the animals seem healthy. Talked to a Rachel I think, and she said she could order anything I needed.

Might be worth a shot. I mentioned the club and she'd never heard of it.

Back