Neptune Aquatics

Sponsor liaisons?

Thales

Past President
A while ago thee were people who said they were interested in being club liaisons to LFS sponsors that were near their homes. Please post here if you are still interested, or if you are newly interested! :D

Thanks!

This might be the right time and place to throw out some thoughts and suggestions about sponsorship in general. As far as I'm concerned, (personal opinion, not BOD) ...

1. Club sponsorship is a 2-way street. Sponsors help us out, but they want something in return. Business reality. So, we're somewhat obligated to return the favor. It's nice to be independent, but when you take on a sponsor, you are beholden. No other way around it.

2. So, what can we do for sponsors? Patronize their businesses, at least for some of our needs. No, I'm El Ceapo Numero Uno and won't pay $40 for an $18 Maxijet. But at least I can buy some fish food or even a frag or two locally.

3. Use them for group buys, if at all possible. Some of them will do it for little or no profit just to help as out and also to generate interest, awareness and if possible, foot traffic to their store. At least give them first right of refusal.

4. Should we pursue the "discount" programs with participating LFS? Maybe the "coordinators" being recruited here can help negotiate this after we, as a club, have made a decision on where to go with this.

5. Many LFS owners/employees are dedicated reefers themselves. Let's hear from them and find out what they want, where they're coming from. Please invite them to this thread so we'll have better guidance on how to proceed.

Which brings up the Membership ID issue. I think we have the template, etc., but might need a vounteer to take this on and institutionalize distribution as part of the membership application/renewal process. Dunno, this was before my tenure at the BOD.

Please add more ideas. Thanks.
Jim

Thanks guys! A little frazzled right now. :D If you guys would post the LFS you want to 'leaison' that would help a lot.

ME - New Alameda Aquatics. :D

Well I'm on great terms with Dr Le. I can also work with dolphin. I think those are the 2 sponsor we have in my area. If there are any others in San Jose/ Santa Clara county, let me know.

Great Russell! Why don't you and trmiv coordinate and you can pick up slack for each other! :D

I was there a couple of weeks ago, and they are more than happy to donate to us. I love them!

Sweet Jonah! I was interested in both of them, and Hunter has expressed interest to me in the past. I just had no time to make it over there. Lets try to discuss what we want from sponsors and what we can give them back before you approach them.

At the very least we can give them a banner ad here (Hi Dave!) Dave hates banners!)) and access to this forum, as well as promoting them at meetings.

Banners - did someone say banners?? I wanna ban 'em all!!!!!!! ;) I guess if people want to help out the club by donating things for raffles etc and all we have to do is put a banner link in here then I can handle it ;)

I asked Erin @ TOG a spell back if he wanted to donate/sponsor and he said NO. I'm inclined to leave it at that with him myself.

Hey Jedininja,

We just finished the frag swap meeting, and I was tasked to contact Dophlin Pet Village....I just sent Tyler a PM about sponsering some corals or equipment for the swap. We decided that you can go ahead and contact Aquatic Gallery.

Rich, should we post questions and items in this forum or the club business forum. Are we giving the sponsers reciepts for tax right offs? Do we have a standard proposal like Duy ask for. Let me know.

Agree re standard proposal or guidelines for sponsorship in general.

Donations to the swap or raffle would be up to the vendor, no? Some might want to know roughly how much they should donate. Or might ask what's been donated by other vendors in the past.

No tax write offs for donations. :D

Some kind of standardized sponsorship guideline has always been needed, but there hasn't been time to put one together or someone dedicated to putting on together. A discussion of guidelines would be great, and if someone is interested, please start a thread in the business forum.

Other than that, the LFS have given what they have felt like giving in dry goods, gift cirts, and corals. For the swap, gift cirts and colonies and 'rare' frags are great for the raffle, and any frags, including some rares, are great fro the swap in general. Since big ticket items are already aquired or in the works, we don't need to get any for this meeting.

:D

Back