Our mission

SPS Growth and Color

I by no means am an expert with sps but I do mostly pretty good. I get decent color and they do grow pretty good. I know some corals grow easier than others. The question I pose is does anyone besides myself see some of their sps sit for weeks and sometimes months and show no growth or color and then one day it takes off ? I've had some ( pink paletta and pearlberry ) sit and do nothing for quite sometime and then start growing and or start coloring up. Something I could never figure out and was wondering if anyone else has a similar story

I have had this happen a lot. I tend to move them if they don’t do anything for a few months, figuring they are looking for something else, however I have had several that sat for MANY months before doing anything. Always looked fine, no dead spots, decent color, then BOOM!! It takes off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I attest this. I would even go ahead and say that almost all of my sps , particularly acros (i have only a handful of them) has shown growth spurt. Since this is a multi year thing, at this point i cant conclude that from now on they'll grow consistently or that they'll show growth spur again, but all of them has at least gone through one of such phase where they have grown at least half or 100% of their original length (some time more) in a quick interval (over 3-4 weeks at max), all of them looked white in the initial time phase, then slowly gains a color which is significantly different than original frag, and most of the time better than before (except green slimer and purple stylophora).

I by no means am an expert with sps but I do mostly pretty good. I get decent color and they do grow pretty good. I know some corals grow easier than others. The question I pose is does anyone besides myself see some of their sps sit for weeks and sometimes months and show no growth or color and then one day it takes off ? I've had some ( pink paletta and pearlberry ) sit and do nothing for quite sometime and then start growing and or start coloring up. Something I could never figure out and was wondering if anyone else has a similar story

Perfectly normal. It can take 6 months or so for some sps to color up (or recolor back up after a change) and begin to grow. A lot of factors involved, but we know if a coral is distressed it will expel it's zooxanthele, Once it's stable it seems to take a varying amount of time to heal and begin building it's zooxanthle up again.

I always tell people if you see color you see hope. Like I’ve said I’ve had and still have corals that grow after months of sitting there while other acros are growing like crazy. One acro I’ve struggled with is Pink Floyd. Lost 2 of them almost instantly

I always tell people if you see color you see hope. Like I’ve said I’ve had and still have corals that grow after months of sitting there while other acros are growing like crazy. One acro I’ve struggled with is Pink Floyd. Lost 2 of them almost instantly

I can't grow Foxflame. I've lost three or four.

Back