Our mission

SPS Poylp Disease

Blaise006

Supporting Member
This disease(assumption) never seems to fully go away in my tank. It appears to be exacerbated by carbon dosing.

Usually lasts about 3-4 months. Coral pales out and polyps begin to bubble out like a bounce mushroom. Typically 1-2 sps affected at anytime and as it fades, a new coral gets it. Once it begins to disappear the coral goes back to normal.

Coral growth stops for the time while it is displaying these symptoms.

C15FA0B6-B197-4B26-A1A8-2382064C7DD4.jpeg

Last edited:
It makes me wonder if anything “bounce” is actually a disease. Like burls on trees are valued for their figure but are a diseased section of tree. So weird.

Have had similar with my acros and some still have this condition. For me it might be associated with an imbalance of alk and ca. I was only testing alk for the longest time and little did I know my calc was low in the 200s, so we'll see in the coming months as I correct it. I've also been getting weird branch growth patterns which I think is related.

DSCF3054.JPG

Eric Borneman did some work on it in back in 08/09... I think he found it was a vibrio (bacteria) infection. Unfortunately this work was all "published" on the now defunct Marine Depot forum. I sent him pictures of mine that had it at the time.
Were there any remedies discussed?

Cipro in-tank doses at .125mg/l - .2mg/l were ineffective at stopping the polyp disease, 1 week post treatment in tank.

Going to attempt stronger dips at 1-5 g/l outside of the tank.

Polyp disease has broken routine and persisted past the usual timeframe. Some corals have worsened.

Picture below: new infection
FBD6E130-A9F8-4F02-BB3D-4F1A6009AA63.jpeg

Picture below: Increase in density of tissue “bubbles”, but seems to have remained localized to the same infected area. Argument could be made it is slightly larger.

B3D06D67-0FA5-43E4-88DA-5D688195F694.jpeg

Tank has been experiencing STN in a large amount of corals. This months ICP remains clean. There has been an improvement in coral color for the ones that paled out two weeks ago.

Multiple tenuis polyps have turned dark brown.

@Blaise006 sorry, but i dont have an answer for you. ive never had anything like that before. since you have tried cipro, there are also potassium chloride dips also if you wanna try that out one sps and see how it goes.

@Blaise006 sorry, but i dont have an answer for you. ive never had anything like that before. since you have tried cipro, there are also potassium chloride dips also if you wanna try that out one sps and see how it goes.
Gonna try higher dosage dips. I’ll try to locate some KCl and do a dip or one of the infected to see if one succeeds. Thanks!

Cipro in-tank doses at .125mg/l - .2mg/l were ineffective at stopping the polyp disease, 1 week post treatment in tank.

Going to attempt stronger dips at 1-5 g/l outside of the tank.

Polyp disease has broken routine and persisted past the usual timeframe. Some corals have worsened.

Picture below: new infection
View attachment 44031

Picture below: Increase in density of tissue “bubbles”, but seems to have remained localized to the same infected area. Argument could be made it is slightly larger.

View attachment 44032

Tank has been experiencing STN in a large amount of corals. This months ICP remains clean. There has been an improvement in coral color for the ones that paled out two weeks ago.

Multiple tenuis polyps have turned dark brown.

I'm 60% kidding, but would it be unethical to sell a couple of these at an exorbitant cost? You could tell people that truth, that you're unsure the cause and trying to treat it, and I imagine someone out there might still want them for the uniqueness.

You could use the funds to buy the treatment setups or replacements if things don't turn around.

I'm 60% kidding, but would it be unethical to sell a couple of these at an exorbitant cost? You could tell people that truth, that you're unsure the cause and trying to treat it, and I imagine someone out there might still want them for the uniqueness.

You could use the funds to buy the treatment setups or replacements if things don't turn around.
Hahaha if I see vendors start selling acros like this in a few years I’m going to be really disappointed I didn’t start it.

If you want to take a stab in the dark in a QT, try a combo of Cipro and Erythromycin. If it is a vibrio species that is the cause, this has a chance of succeeding. If you want to try this, let me know, I’ve used this combo before (not for this specific issue) and it can be pretty rough on acros depending on the dose.

Cipro and erythromycin has been used in controlling vibrio spp in shellfish hatcheries. Obviously, not a sure fire dunk in coral.

If you want to take a stab in the dark in a QT, try a combo of Cipro and Erythromycin. If it is a vibrio species that is the cause, this has a chance of succeeding. If you want to try this, let me know, I’ve used this combo before (not for this specific issue) and it can be pretty rough on acros depending on the dose.

Cipro and erythromycin has been used in controlling vibrio spp in shellfish hatcheries. Obviously, not a sure fire dunk in coral.
I would be open to testing it out on some of the hardier frags like the poccilpora. The tenuis that are infected are struggling more than the others based on observation.

Would aquabiomics be able to confirm vibrio strain accurately enough to determine it prior to dosing? Probably a question better suited for Eli

I would be open to testing it out on some of the hardier frags like the poccilpora. The tenuis that are infected are struggling more than the others based on observation.

Would aquabiomics be able to confirm vibrio strain accurately enough to determine it prior to dosing? Probably a question better suited for Eli

here’s what aquabiomics tests for as of two months ago.

8BFE4C77-8BF2-4382-99A2-879E25A8197C.png

If you want to try with with cipro and erythromycin, I’ve done 250mg cipro and 100mg of api erythromycin per 10 gallons of water without seeing much death. I dose at lights out and change at least 25% of water right before dosing. Do this for a min three days (I’ve done up to 7 days and usually do 5 days).

Erythromycin can drop oxygen levels and it is recommended to dose it when lights turn on so photosynthesis and counteract that, but in a QT with no fish and little respiration going on, I don’t think it matters much. I’ve never had a problem with it.

Are you running a skimmer on this tank? I assume so because you say carbon dosing, but I'm curious.

I wonder how much of a bacteria/viral load a skimmer would remove from the water column.

Back