Cali Kid Corals

Sps stn

What do you guys notice rtn or stn your acros especially millies?

I've noticed my phos when up to .04 and nitrate 1 but I need to double check it. After I stopped feeding my diy recipe 2 cubes a day and did rods foods I noticed my milliee stopped expending as much and my crt dragon king isn't so vibrant I would say its more of a pink brownish color. I'm gonna do a wc today but not sure what it could be

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just had a mille colony start to stn. All other sps were fine so I dug in and turns out I forgot to dose mag for a while and it was at 1150ish. Corrected the issue and the stn stopped and the coral should hopefully recover over the next year. Funny thing is it didn’t stop the new encrusting growth it only attacked the tips/top down. I feel sensitive sps will stn/rtn when you look at them the wrong way lol

Just had a mille colony start to stn. All other sps were fine so I dug in and turns out I forgot to dose mag for a while and it was at 1150ish. Corrected the issue and the stn stopped and the coral should hopefully recover over the next year. Funny thing is it didn’t stop the new encrusting growth it only attacked the tips/top down. I feel sensitive sps will stn/rtn when you look at them the wrong way lol
This is the part of sps that scares me. My OP started to stn seems like polyps are still out. But the original ones to rtn were the palmers millie and red dragon last week.

The thing is I'm getting neusance algea on my sand. And I have 18 fish

What is growing on your sand? Certain things dominate in low nutrient situations when they can outcompete other things for the scarce nutrients.
How are you getting such low nutrients? Not feeding enough? Removing too much? Algae scrubber? Fuge? Carbon dosing? Heavy phosphate remover media? Need more info to help

What is growing on your sand? Certain things dominate in low nutrient situations when they can outcompete other things for the scarce nutrients.
How are you getting such low nutrients? Not feeding enough? Removing too much? Algae scrubber? Fuge? Carbon dosing? Heavy phosphate remover media? Need more info to help
I have turf algea on the sand. I am removing via cheato and turf scrubber

Yeah I'm going to dose phosphate for a bit see how that goes. What would be the best way to find how much phosphate is in frozen food?

1 gallon rodi 1 cube then test?

Reef roids are no joke. Take it slow if you do that approach. I did 2 weekly feedings in a row and it brought my PO4 up too quickly
Well shoot i just put roids in my diy food along with a bunch of other stuff but I was able to make about 4 pounds of food,

Well shoot i just put roids in my diy food along with a bunch of other stuff but I was able to make about 4 pounds of food,

You have a much larger tank than me so it probably won’t have as large of an impact. I did 1/2tsp a week for 25g. But after doing it twice it shot my PO4 up. I believe that’s double the recommended serving but they don’t say how often to feed it.

I follow instructions for reef roids but i have coincidentally had rtn \ etn almost the day after on a few occassions... so I only use reef roids occassionally now

some pieces seem to be more sensitive than others

I follow instructions for reef roids but i have coincidentally had rtn \ etn almost the day after on a few occassions... so I only use reef roids occassionally now

some pieces seem to be more sensitive than others
So you think something in it is not good? Did i just make a ton of food i gotta toss out?

What would be an alternative to reef roids? I feed my meatier LPS mysis but the reef roids work well for those that cant eat a whole one
Reef nutrition stuff like oyster feast. But you have to be careful with those too, some have to be dilute if you are going to spot feed.

Or for another powder there’s reef chili, it’s what got BRS started (I think?) but I don’t have any personal experience with that, just giving ideas for you to look into :)

One way to dose Phosphate would be to put some Chaeto in a filter sock and let it die and decompose. Just thought of this - have not tried it.

Back