Kessil

Stuff I ordered!

Thales

Past President
18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR
72mm Circular Polarizer Glass
72mm Digital White Balance Filter (expodisc)
72mm-62mm Step-Down Ring

Its on backorder, so hopefully soon!

oh baby, that's some good stuff

while you're at it, go buy some gaffing tape as well for the 18-200. I'm sure you know about the horrid lens creep these bad boys have, but with a small piece of gaffing tape, it works perfectly.

what brand polarizer did you get?

Hoya polarizer. Went middle of the road to give it a try. Got the gaff tape thanks!

Hey, what hand strap do you guys like? Are there any that convert from had to neck?

Eileen, I didn't win the jackpot - but we are going to a wedding in Europe in a couple of months so I wanted to be loaded for bear. :D

this one works great! me and at least 4 other people I know use this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=194968&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

if you go on ebay you'll find some that also have an extra loop to put your neckstrap on as well.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=1989.msg19307#msg19307 date=1177284419]
... but we are going to a wedding in Europe in a couple of months so I wanted to be loaded for bear. :D..
[/quote]

Best make sure you have plenty of waterproofing around too ;-)

[quote author=capescuba link=topic=1989.msg19393#msg19393 date=1177430910]
[quote author=Thales link=topic=1989.msg19307#msg19307 date=1177284419]
... but we are going to a wedding in Europe in a couple of months so I wanted to be loaded for bear. :D..
[/quote]

Best make sure you have plenty of waterproofing around too ;-)
[/quote]

Most camera bags these days are pretty water resistant, meaning light rain won't even start to get through. Some are better than others.

Lowepro and Crumpler bags, maybe other brands too, have these all weather covers that covers the bag in case it starts raining. I found it to be increadibly useful in europe and in hawaii =)

Lowepro makes a cool waterproof bag that even has a camelback style hydration =) But it's unecessary unless you're bringing your backpack with you on a boat that will flip or if you walk through waterfalls all day!

but definitely make sure you have a little waterproofing like dave suggests =)

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=1989.msg19401#msg19401 date=1177434723]

Lowepro and Crumpler bags, maybe other brands too, have these all weather covers that covers the bag in case it starts raining. I found it to be increadibly useful in europe and in hawaii =)
[/quote]

Oy! I just found the lowepro I should have bought - http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/notebook_camera/CompuRover_AW.aspx , I bought the day pack version. Anyway, I can prolly pick up a generic weather cover for my bag. :D

[quote author=Thales link=topic=1989.msg19448#msg19448 date=1177453790]
[quote author=kinetic link=topic=1989.msg19401#msg19401 date=1177434723]

[/quote]

Oy! I just found the lowepro I should have bought - http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/notebook_camera/CompuRover_AW.aspx , I bought the day pack version. Anyway, I can prolly pick up a generic weather cover for my bag. :D
[/quote]

REI or Sports Basement (forgot which) sells backpack covers which are generic and basically do the same thing.

I think that's fine Rich. I remember the biggest hassle of trying to deal with two film camera bodies (lens attached on both bodies) and one extra lens was the fact that the rounded corners digging into my back on hike through Yosemite.

When I got back I bought a camera back pack, and a lighter tripod (went from aluminum to carbon fiber).

Rich - if you want to borrow the backpack let me know. It is big as it is meant to hold a camera body with a really big lense like a 200 or 300mm lens or two camera bodies with two shorter lenses.

Hey Eileen,

I would love to borrow the back pack, even if its just to check it out. Finding a time to get it from you... :D

Take a look at a Camdapter if you want a handstrap and neckstrap in one.

http://www.camdapter.com/

I use a couple of Op/Tech straps w/quick releases on mine. Real comfortable neck straps and when I take the long piece off, the shorter pieces can wrap around your hands.

Haha, yeah. Or when humidity is high, like when I was in Asia last summer (I don't think anything would have matter though; it was just that humid). I love the ability to lose most of the strap when using a tripod.

Also, in regards to a backpack, I used to have the mini trekker pro and that can hold a decent amount of gear, w/out the extra weight or size. When I upgraded, I went extra big and got a Phototrekker AW, which basically sits at home nowadays. It holds the rest of the gear when I don't use it.

I've also have a Crumpler shoulder pack (Budgie Smuggler) that will hold a body w/attached lens and a flash (the ultra light setup).

My current shoulder pack that I haul around just about everywhere is a Domke FX-3. There's not as much padding as the others above, but will hold up to 2 bodies if configured correctly. I used to do so, but I've been dropping weight as I go along. Nowadays, I shove a D2X in there w/the 17-55mm f/2.8, 105mm VR micro, a 50mm f/1.4D, Kenko tubes, and up to 2 SB-800s.

Back