Neptune Aquatics

Suggestions for calcium reactor

Blaise006

Supporting Member
The price on this one has me wondering if it’s worth upgrading from 2 part.

Would love to hear some people’s thoughts
Specially interested in things that can idiot proof or make significantly easier.

I have an apex as well, so redundancies there would be awesome.

55A73370-4760-4101-8DFD-3CD73FEFE882.png

You can get a nice regulator for 120$ on brs(Tunze) and that takes that cost
down to a much easier pill to swallow.

Geo would be my choice on the unit as well probably since paying 100$ over other opinions for a quality build is worth it for me on mission critical equipment.

If you have the full apex then I would convert the ORP probe to use as the PH probe for the reactor.

i wanted to go with a geo 612, carbon doser, kamoer fx-stp, but went with a dastaco c2. i would of went with my first choice if i were to think it over.

The price on this one has me wondering if it’s worth upgrading from 2 part.

Would love to hear some people’s thoughts
Specially interested in things that can idiot proof or make significantly easier.

I have an apex as well, so redundancies there would be awesome.

Two part on a doser is simple, reliable, and idiot proof these days.
You can tweak Alk/Ca separately if you want.
But you have to refill those dosing tanks all the time.

Reactors can save cost over long term, add all elements, and do not raise salinity.
But refilling CO2 and dialing them in can be a hassle.

My opinion: Calcium reactors are good if you have a monster tank, or maybe if you do not do water changes.

But usually simply not worth it.

My recommendations:

Ditch the Sicce feed pump. Pick up a peristaltic pump that will do continuous duty like the Kamoer FX-STP. I use a Cole-Parmer which is medical grade. With a peristaltic pump, you can ditch the needle valve which is prone to clogging.

There are other CalRx to choose from.
Reef Octopus has several new ones with DC recirculation pumps.
Aquamaxx has a great design.
Deltec is an old standby.
I've used a Geo and it works well but I love the Vertex RX-6D. So much so I found a new one for the office tank even though Vertex is no longer in business.

You can build your own regulator using industrial quality dual stage gas regulators for about the same price as the carbon doser. If you like the "dial a bubble rate" feature, its just a solenoid connected to a pot that opens and closes the solenoid. You can do that with the Apex.

But if you want simple to setup no-nonsense just want it to work now, the GEO carx, kamoer and carbon doser combo is hard to beat.

I’m looking at upgrading from my little, old knop-c, and am seriously considering a lifereef (anybody here use one?). The reef octopus look good too. Like others say, whatever you pick, use a good peristaltic feed pump. I love my cole parmer masterflex. I tried a kamoer and it was ok - really small, but got really loud after a while. And a good stable regulator, I have a carbon doser, but any good quality reg should work. There was someone on here a few years back that assembled gorgeous 2 stage regs.

Two part on a doser is simple, reliable, and idiot proof these days.
You can tweak Alk/Ca separately if you want.
But you have to refill those dosing tanks all the time.

Reactors can save cost over long term, add all elements, and do not raise salinity.
But refilling CO2 and dialing them in can be a hassle.

My opinion: Calcium reactors are good if you have a monster tank, or maybe if you do not do water changes.

But usually simply not worth it.
I’d like to stick with 2 part dosing since I have the pumps, but unfortunately with my issues with 2 part have made it become prohibitively expensive with my 60 gallon.

I’ve heard a calRx has less precipitation issues and less daily tinkering.
Obviously I don’t won’t to spend more money, but I can’t keep dumping 160mls into a 60 gallon every day and keep up with it. It’s been like that for two months now and it’s unbearable.
While all my sps have been growing phenomenally, it’s coMe at the cost of running through trident reagent like it’s cans of coke. I’ve had to test daily on the hour just to watch alkalinity swing by .2 to have to make a correction in the opposite direction.

I don’t want my new 125 gallon to have the same thing happen, hence I am considering a calRx.

Given my lack of experience with them, I am scared to use it and nuke a tank.

My recommendations:

Ditch the Sicce feed pump. Pick up a peristaltic pump that will do continuous duty like the Kamoer FX-STP. I use a Cole-Parmer which is medical grade. With a peristaltic pump, you can ditch the needle valve which is prone to clogging.

There are other CalRx to choose from.
Reef Octopus has several new ones with DC recirculation pumps.
Aquamaxx has a great design.
Deltec is an old standby.
I've used a Geo and it works well but I love the Vertex RX-6D. So much so I found a new one for the office tank even though Vertex is no longer in business.

You can build your own regulator using industrial quality dual stage gas regulators for about the same price as the carbon doser. If you like the "dial a bubble rate" feature, its just a solenoid connected to a pot that opens and closes the solenoid. You can do that with the Apex.

But if you want simple to setup no-nonsense just want it to work now, the GEO carx, kamoer and carbon doser combo is hard to beat.
I have zero experience with CalRx and still reading up on everything. So I know there is a bible counter for the co2 but I am not sure what you mean by dial a bubble rate or the regulators.

I don’t want to buy this and turn around in three months and wish I sprang the extra money to replace for something better.

Ive wasted so much money doing that in the past.

When you say ditch the sicce. You mean the reactors input can be done with something like an apex dos or it has to be a certain model of doser?

I know I want to avoid clogs. I have no idea what the needle valve is or dose unfortunately.

You can get a nice regulator for 120$ on brs(Tunze) and that takes that cost
down to a much easier pill to swallow.

Geo would be my choice on the unit as well probably since paying 100$ over other opinions for a quality build is worth it for me on mission critical equipment.

If you have the full apex then I would convert the ORP probe to use as the PH probe for the reactor.
I don’t mind spending the extra money upfront to get the right set up.

I really want to avoid replacing an semi expensive part with a more expensive part in a few months.

My main issue is I have no experience with them so determining what I need and the quality is really difficult :(

The calcium reactor doesn't matter too much tbh. I've been using a generic reactor that I picked up from BigAl's for awhile now and it does it's job (knock off Aquamaxx). The feed pump and regulator are more critical components.

I would go with what John mentioned above - geo 612, carbon doser regulator, kamoer fx-stp feed pump. Geos have been around forever and they're known to last, the carbondoser is user friendly (comes with a solenoid knob that tells you how many bubbles/sec, which you can adjust), and the kamoer does what it needs to do. You can also use the DOS to feed the reactor, but keep in mind that you will need to replace the heads around every 6 months or so since it isn't meant to be used continuously. Go with a peristaltic pump, such as the kamoer instead. The tubings and heads are easy to source and replace if needed.

Also, something to keep in mind with your upgrade. With a larger tank volume you will notice less swings than what you're currently experiencing at the moment.

What else do I need? Is the needlepoint part a potential issue due to clogging?

what issues am i likely to encounter with this set up?

EA901DC4-9E23-4E87-A73D-5775302B78F0.png
FA046893-0D21-4586-905E-14AA9EA9C667.png

Oh, something about the Dastaco you dont like?
in the beginning it was easy to set up and used. once I started to increase my dosage, I needed to start venting the system. that's when it got complicated and taking advise from the supplier made me have alk spikes. since I had the new LCD controller, not much advise was giving since it was also new to the supplier and they have little information on it. I was like their guinea pig. lost a few high end pieces and mini colonies. kept having alarm issues. I stopped listening to their advice and troubleshoot myself. never had an issue since. still a great product. customer service is still good and I have no problem with them, but wish I went a different route.

Last edited:
You can get the same thing a lot cheaper on ebay right now.
Wonder if that's what you're actually buying. No where in the description could I find the name "Kamoer" listed, it's all very generic. Also looking at other listings they run the entire gambit of random stuff for sale.

I have zero experience with CalRx and still reading up on everything. So I know there is a bible counter for the co2 but I am not sure what you mean by dial a bubble rate or the regulators.

I don’t want to buy this and turn around in three months and wish I sprang the extra money to replace for something better.

Ive wasted so much money doing that in the past.

When you say ditch the sicce. You mean the reactors input can be done with something like an apex dos or it has to be a certain model of doser?

I know I want to avoid clogs. I have no idea what the needle valve is or dose unfortunately.
With a carbon doser, you basically set the bubble rate using a dial vs adjusting the regulator and counting the seconds between bubbles.

On the sicce, yes. It is used as a feed pump and you adjust the drip rate with the needle valve. If you use a peristaltic pump, you do not need either. You can use the DOS and many have but it is not designed as a continuous duty pump.

Wonder if that's what you're actually buying. No where in the description could I find the name "Kamoer" listed, it's all very generic. Also looking at other listings they run the entire gambit of random stuff for sale.
I got a couple of them off ebay mainly because they were out of stock everywhere else at time time. It is kamoer and the wifi version.

sweet, going to have to look into that if I ever need a pump like that. I guess Kamoer is an overseas brand that simply was re-marketed here in the US with CoralVue as a distributer. I really like their micropumps for dosing 2 part or kalkwasser.

I'm using a schuran Jetstream 1 calcium reactor. They have not been brought into the states for quite sometime now. But if you can find one it is a great calcium reactor.

sweet, going to have to look into that if I ever need a pump like that. I guess Kamoer is an overseas brand that simply was re-marketed here in the US with CoralVue as a distributer. I really like their micropumps for dosing 2 part or kalkwasser.
Yeah I've got the spare pump right here. So far its been super quite. The best thing for me over my masteflex (I have a digital one sitting in my garage) is that it starts up at the same setting when it looses power. My masterflex did not automatically start back up. Right now I only run my kamoer when the lights are going.

Attachments

• 16240325020076155583511177466381.jpg
    16240325020076155583511177466381.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 122
Back