Our mission

Suggestions for my lighting and sump???

under_water_ninja

High Tide Aquatics
LFS Owner
So, I should be setting up the tank tomorrow. I just wanted some suggestions. The sump is a truflo 180. I think its about 40gls. Should I run it with the bioballs as a wet/dry, or should I take them out and fill it with live rock??? The sump has 2 holes drilled on the bottom of the right side, as you can see in the pic. I am going to seal them unless someone tells me they will be usefull! I dont have another sump at the moment but I wanted to run a refugium. Can I run one in this sump??? Also I want to eventually run a calcium reactor. I have the bulkheads that fit the holes but no plugs. Would love some suggestions!!!!

DSC02037.jpg

DSC02045.jpg

Now for the lighting.

I have removed the top of the canopy and was thinking about hanging the lights using yo-yo's so I can raise and lower them with ease. And was planning on having them sit about 4 inches off the tank flush with the top of the canopy. Was planning on cutting out 2, 3 inch circles on each side of the canopy that will house cooling fans! what do you think????

DSC02041.jpg

DSC02044.jpg

All suggestions will help! Thanks a lot!!!

Alright, so I guess no suggestions are coming in! I guess I will figure something out! Probably take out the bio balls and put the skimmer in that section and a baffle to adjust the height.

I would remove the bioballs and replace them with LR. As for the other two holes the sump has I would plug them for a later use if needed. You can always make a small refuge and the run a line from it into your sump. If you look at my tank page you will see what I am talking about. Good luck with the setup.

Alright. So today I am going to Tap Plastics and getting a bunch of acrylic pieces to set up a baffle for the skimmer compartment of the sump. I was also thinking of doing a couple more baffles and setting up a fuge in the sump. I might not have enough room for the fuge though. I have about 17 inches to play with in the pump compartment. Before I go ahead and do that i was thinking maybe I should just sell this wet/dry, as it is a fully assembled wet/dry complete with hoses, lids and bioballs. And pick my self u pan all glass tank? What do you guys think. I could probably sell this guy for about $100, more if I sell it on ebay but I really dont want to ship it! I could probably get a glass tank that would be the perfect size for pretty cheap. Let me know what you guys think!!!!! Thanks a lot!

Back