High Tide Aquatics

Super Fast Growing Beginner Acro - FREE

Update - all claimed for now but if anyone would like one please comment so when I’m ready to trim again I can go down the comments.

Supposedly it’s ORA Scripps Acro per Facebook group people. I need to trim a few branches (~5) and would be happy for any supporting members to adopt/try out. Pick up in SF :) btw I do have bubble algae in my tank.

Taken last month
22D93A4D-9E3D-48CE-820B-626EC5A44D06.jpeg

Taken in end of June 2020
9C97DDFF-9CE1-4CDD-B269-8DBD5E3C0DCD.jpeg

Last edited:
my tank just cycled. is it something good to start with? Please let me know, thanks.
This is an acro which falls under the larger category of SPS (small polyp stony) corals. With sps your alkalinity is important because as they grow they consume the calcium carbonate in the water which lowers the alkalinity. The alkalinity can be kept stable with either water changes in a low demand tank, or by dosing 2 part to keep the alkalinity stable. There are more ways to keep it stable but water changes and 2 part are most common.

If you just cycled and are learning this might not be the best coral to try since it requires a lot of stability, I’m not saying it isn’t possible, but it is a difficult coral to start with.

I know you just became a supporting member, I’m in SF and have zoanthids that I would be happy to get you started with. Zoas are considered soft corals and are much more hardy. They will not be as impacted by changing alk, and in a new tank your parameters will likely swing as you learn to keep everything stable.

Feel free to reach out over pm and I can share photos of the zoas I have available to share.

Thanks @max_nano for all that guidance! If it’s just cycled do you know your parameters? I’d try with soft or LPS corals first like zoa or duncan or something like that if you haven’t. If you know your parameters are relatively stable however you keep them let me know and I’ll trim this for you!

Thanks for info. I'll pm you regarding the Zoas. Thanks.

In addition to zoas, mushrooms are good starter corals as well. I've got some green rhodactis mushrooms, eagle eye zoas, and green button palys that are good corals for new systems, and I'd be happy to give you some if you're ever down in SJ.

A general rule of thumb is (in terms of hardiness/easiness to care), soft corals/zoas/palys are the easiest, then LPS, then SPS. There are some exceptions to this (gold torches, an LPS, are notoriously finicky), but it's good for ~90% of cases. I'd also add to @max_nano 's advice that LPS (frogspawn, torches, goniopora, hammers, etc) also consume alkalinity and calcium, though at a lower rate than SPS. However, if you're like me and like LPS, you can easily cause a big drain on alkalinity and calcium by putting lots of LPS in a smaller tank.

Back