got ethical husbandry?

Superman Mushroom

I have 1 Superman Mushroom polyp to give away. Pick a number between 1 - 20 and pick up at the Oct BAR meeting. They are very hardy and fast growers.

SMushroom.jpg

...15: Looking forward to meeting you at the lecture in October. It'll be a welcomed additon :bigsmile:

Check out my tank journal: http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/8161

Reef Keeper

Thank you Eric,

I'm looking forward to connecting with you then. :D.

I know these guys like to multiply, so maybe you can give me some fragging tips, so I can hold them out for other interested members. I think I saw Screebo chime in too, so I'll keep him in mind for the next generation.

Thanks again,
Reef Keeper / Joel

Better double check with "those who've tried" but I think you can carefully cut them in half or even like pizza wth a sterile scalpel. I've seen cool shrooms come back from just a fragment of the original animal. Know what else I've noticed about shrooms? When one has free floating shrooms, place them against any rock surface where it comes in contact with your sand substrate and they "climb" up on to the rock and attach in many cases. This is happening more often for me than any planned attaching efforts. Hmmmm

Reef Keeper said:
so maybe you can give me some fragging tips

The picture I posted was the original, single mushroom. About a week after that photo it began to reproduce like crazy. I had planned to give some away here but didn't think I'd have any "loose" polyps by October's meeting. I was in my tank the other day with the turkey baster and blew one away from the "colony." Screebo, let me see if I can separate some more with the baster. If not, I'm sure I'll have a 100 in a few months. :)

Joel, long story short - I've never fragged them and I don't have any tips. However, these guys grow so fast that I don't think you would need to frag them.

My SWAG is that they could more easily move around if they were not healing from being dissected. They need pretty slow currents to do any moving without being blasted around while unattached. I would also imagine that once dissected, they would not be able to attach to anything for a while until the foot heals. I've heard that think, black thread can be used to tie them to a rock or post while healing. Disclaimer: I could be imagining all this. :)

I often use bone cutters to cut a thin layer of rock under a shroom or paly that I want to transplant. Works like a charm and does not disturb it's foot. having a sliver of the LR also gives you a perfect place to put a drop of super glue gel and glue the little bugger down before it gets away. Some shrooms just live like seeds in the wind. They seem happy enough just floating from place to place.

You mean "quack" like the duck says.....:cool:
I do love breaking out my surgical tools and performing my mad coral surgery! Once I put on the magnivisor, it's real trouble with Dr. "Learn While You Lunch" todays topic, Mushroom Surgery.....(now you know what I mean by quack)

Screebo, I only have one polyp for this month's meeting but I'll shoot you a PM when another one becomes available. I should have one soon as it is a fast grower.

Eric

anderson99 said:
They are very hardy and fast growers.

Hi Eric,

Just wanted to take this opportunity to tell you how good it was to meet you yesterday at the lecture, and also, to say "Thank you" for the Superman Mushroom." I have it corralled, right now, until it takes to a larger piece of rubble so I can position it better. The S.M. is opening and coloring up nicely. I'm looking forward to meeting you at future BARS' events.

I've attached a photo, but it's not the best, as the camera lens had to capture through the acrylic and container too. Once it's out on it's own, I'll post a better photo on my Tank Journal thread. http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/8161

Happy Reefing.

Best,
Joel
Reef Keeper

screebo said:
Better double check with "those who've tried" but I think you can carefully cut them in half or even like pizza wth a sterile scalpel. I've seen cool shrooms come back from just a fragment of the original animal. Know what else I've noticed about shrooms? When one has free floating shrooms, place them against any rock surface where it comes in contact with your sand substrate and they "climb" up on to the rock and attach in many cases. This is happening more often for me than any planned attaching efforts. Hmmmm

I hear you loud and clear.

I was wondering if I could use a scalpel and make an incision near the pod/foot and let them attach in the method you described, or better yet force air under the foot of existing shrooms to dislodge them from their perch. This seems like a less invasive way. In any event, I'm not like to cut one in half, but more likely to try to separate it from its perch instead. My mushrooms seem to multiply faster than I care for, but the one nice Tongan one I have just wont populate like the others, so one day, it may have to go under the knife. J)

Congrats on getting your set up to a whole new level. :D

R.K.

Hi Eric,

I still haven't found this beauty in my rocks.

I've asked Brian Seminolecpa to fix the Frag Status, as I messed up trying to edit it. Sorry.

As you've stated, they are free spirited and love to drift on the currents. It'll probably show itself like you said. I'll be patient.

I'm missing it big time.

Hope all is well.

Happy reefing,
Joel / Reef Keeper

Back