High Tide Aquatics

Tank 3: Son of Tank (IM Nuvo 10g)

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
Earlier this year, I moved. I did not use the move to upgrade the size of my DT...but I did use it to upgrade the number of tanks I had. I started a 50g frag tank downstairs and was gifted this IM Nuvo 10 by @hyacinth after he helped me with the move. An office tank sounded like a good idea, so I finally got up the gumption to get it running today after hyacinth was kind enough to also provide me with a bunch of live sand and live rock from a tank he was breaking down.

I effectively started the cycle by stirring up all the sand and detritus when moving it into the new tank (ammonia read 0.5-1.0 ppm after getting the sand and rock placed), so I'm looking forward to seeing whether this cycle goes quick given all the good bugs on the sand and rock!

Nuvo10 4.jpg

Nuvo10 3.jpg

I'm excited to see what you have planned for this guy.

The second fish we ever got was a firefish, who we named Mackinfyre. We were dumb and didn't realize body shape could trigger aggression, and the first fish we got was a bar goby, so predictability ensued and the bar goby killed it.

We've both missed having a firefish ever since, so our plan for this tank is to have a couple firefish, a shrimp/goby pair, and make sure everything's bright colors to contrast against the black sand and the black background. To that end we're going for a black widow nem, some illuminati zoas, and other similar things.

Related note:

Tank Update, 12/14/20

Man, I love cycling using sand and rock from an established tank. Moving the sandbed kicked up a bunch of detritus, that led to an ammonia spike on the first day. Monitored it the past couple days and, not only is the ammonia cycled, it's been processed completely into nitrate (no nitrites detectable).

So I went ahead and added our first inhabitants today. I'd rather add one fish at a time, but considering it's a small tank and firefish can be aggressive towards each other if they don't pair, I went ahead and added a pair:

Firefish.jpg

I'll be keeping a close eye on them for the next couple weeks and, if there's any aggression, one of them will get booted down to the 50g.

While this was all live rock and sand from an established tank, I'm planning on giving it two or three weeks to really settle down before I try adding anything to it. Although it does look like a tiny mushroom that was on the live rock survived the mini-cycle...so, bonus!

Back