got ethical husbandry?

Tank vs Sun

I know you're not supposed to place your tank in direct sunlight, does "direct sunlight" mean actual sun rays literally hitting your tank? Or does that include ambient sun light? I'm setting up my tank in a room that gets pretty bright during the day. And though the tank won't be placed anywhere near a window, I'm wondering if all the ambient light it'll be getting will be just as bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on the season my tank will get a short period of direct light through a window. I put a film on the window, but otherwise just letting it ride.

I think ambient lighting is just fine, and maybe even good for corals. If you have a good control on nutrients, algae shouldn't take over.

I would think it's fine. The rule of thumb I go by is if I would get a sunburn (I burn pretty easily) if I sat in that spot then it's too much light. Like @Gablami my tank gets briefe direct exposure to sunlight at certain times of the year.
IMG_4252.JPG

Ambient light is perfectly fine. If it gets that bright however you might want to adjust your lighting, maybe... I would see how it works before worrying though. The largest issue most likely will be additional algae growth which is something you can deal with as it appears.

Sun beam goes through a glass pane, bouncing off hardwood floor before hitting my 120g tank for 1-2 hours in summer. I have not noticed effects.

My smaller tank, a IM 20g, is close to front door, filled with ambient light and some reflected light beams most of summer mornings. I think the concern is temp swing (no chiller), I am watching it.

I get spots of direct sun light for may be 1-2 hrs a day also. Those spots doesn't look any different than any other spot

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back