Neptune Aquatics

Tent Fumigation and tanks

Blaise006

Supporting Member
Hope everyone is having a good holiday so far!

A friend of mine came into possession of a tank with a recent home purchase. They need to fumigate and I offered to house the animals temporarily.

With a tent fumigation for termites, are there easier ways to protect the tank? Do we need tear everything out?

Last edited:
Oh geez, this one is tough. I would think you need to prevent all gas exchange between the tank and the house. To me, that means two layers of heavy duty plastic tarps, with the seams doubly taped. Sealing off from below might be impossible.

I would feel better about shutting it down, then setting it back up. Drain the tank of anything you don't want to be toxic after the fact. Keep the rocks and substrate in brute trash cans full of salt water to keep them cured. Then refill after the fact and "restart" with the old rocks. This comes from no experience, but my gut says if the gas can permeate the wood to kill the termites, it will get through almost any seal you try to make and poison the rocks if there is any gas exchange with the water.

Oh geez, this one is tough. I would think you need to prevent all gas exchange between the tank and the house. To me, that means two layers of heavy duty plastic tarps, with the seams doubly taped. Sealing off from below might be impossible.

I would feel better about shutting it down, then setting it back up. Drain the tank of anything you don't want to be toxic after the fact. Keep the rocks and substrate in brute trash cans full of salt water to keep them cured. Then refill after the fact and "restart" with the old rocks. This comes from no experience, but my gut says if the gas can permeate the wood to kill the termites, it will get through almost any seal you try to make and poison the rocks if there is any gas exchange with the water.
Thanks for the input. I agree.

+1 on shutting down tank temporarily.

Are they SURE they really need to fumigate?
That is a typical go-to solution, but there are alternatives, especially if the infestation is a bit localized.
Might be worth a quick a second opinion.

+1 on shutting down tank temporarily.

Are they SURE they really need to fumigate?
That is a typical go-to solution, but there are alternatives, especially if the infestation is a bit localized.
Might be worth a quick a second opinion.
Thanks, I will ask them tonight.

Back