Cali Kid Corals

TGunn's 90g Reef

I definitely need to get another Kessel as one just doesn't cut it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Before buying a second Kessil, try a 90-deg adapter and raise your Kessil up so it can spread more. Mine covers a 30" width tank adequately at about 40% power hanging 10" above the tank. Also you have plenty of natural light in that room.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kessi...adapter.html?gclid=CKzvlu2uw9ECFYKJfgodnKsBPQ

I was burning corals until I raised my Kessil high above the reef... also started angling my Kessil back toward the reef so it didn't cast as much shadow or get in our eyes when we looked at the tank! We also have a lot of natural light so we just find we don't have to run the lamp as hard. I would like to qualify this by borrowing the PAR meter eventually...

Side view:
2c2eb852f698cf71032930bddb5624d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Before buying a second Kessil, try a 90-deg adapter and raise your Kessil up so it can spread more. Mine covers a 30" width tank adequately at about 40% power hanging 10" above the tank. Also you have plenty of natural light in that room.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kessi...adapter.html?gclid=CKzvlu2uw9ECFYKJfgodnKsBPQ

I was burning corals until I raised my Kessil high above the reef... also started angling my Kessil back toward the reef so it didn't cast as much shadow or get in our eyes when we looked at the tank! We also have a lot of natural light so we just find we don't have to run the lamp as hard. I would like to qualify this by borrowing the PAR meter eventually...

Side view:
2c2eb852f698cf71032930bddb5624d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good idea. I will order one of those and give it a try. I'm amazed how incredibly bright the Kessil is on this tank. I feel it could easily be higher without the brightness diminishing too much.

The 90 adapter is exactly what I need.

I actually had to put the kessil mount on the tank backwards. I didn't even think of the clearance needed for the adjustment screws and my tank is pretty close to the wall.

Where are the corals already Tyler?
There are a few in there so far, though nowhere near as many as there should be. I transferred over the few that I had in my 34g. I'm seeing the diatoms starting to show up on the rocks and sand at this point. I'm thinking I'll wait a bit before introducing a load of new corals since the tank is still pretty new (most of the rock was new too). I figure this weekend I'll head over to Neptune and look at some nice new fish to start filling the tank out. I'm not sure if they have things like cucumbers and conch but those are other inhabitants I'd like to get as well.

There are a few in there so far, though nowhere near as many as there should be. I transferred over the few that I had in my 34g. I'm seeing the diatoms starting to show up on the rocks and sand at this point. I'm thinking I'll wait a bit before introducing a load of new corals since the tank is still pretty new (most of the rock was new too). I figure this weekend I'll head over to Neptune and look at some nice new fish to start filling the tank out. I'm not sure if they have things like cucumbers and conch but those are other inhabitants I'd like to get as well.

Not sure about Neptune's, but earlier this week, aquatic collection had a cucumber or two when I was there.

I would consider two A350/A360s on that tank. When I ran it, I had 3x A350s on it because of the 26" depth. Maybe overkill, but I'd consider two a minimum for SPS.

I would consider two A350/A360s on that tank. When I ran it, I had 3x A350s on it because of the 26" depth. Maybe overkill, but I'd consider two a minimum for SPS.
I'll probably add another down the road. At the moment I've got little in there in the way of corals. So for the moment things should be okay. :)

Today was a good day for livestock. I picked up a yellow tang (was supposed to be a purple but I totally misunderstood the price and thought they were $70, not $250. Hahaha whoops), a royal Gramma, a conch, brittle star, some nassarius snails, and some turbos.

As is always the case with a newer tank I'm going through a massive hair algae outbreak at the moment. Ugh.

It also looks like one of the new fish I added carried an illness of some kind. Both of my clowns and the royal gramma are now food for the crabs. Its strange as there was ZERO sign of disease in any of them. Yeah, I know I should QT, but I just don't have the space or equipment to set up a QT tank. I guess I need to figure something out for that; maybe in the garage...

Anyone know the official name for this coral?
V0ERJ8ajg0SRdAzxrZ7vib6gEWa2FHqucxXVtJvUSlkcdiYm5Xkrq8593j6k3rG87goAy5wXcyqxF7gxnOck2bxlei6s96fHWMK435gVm--iqhSfKMoQ05auOO-T-n_x6_IzGaMdyOcVFN9KwGVcPT-mHC2ePw_Pq6h0vqVGXiOFOj4dctrQziywrvGlp9d2jPYmM7AFGH4ydrIrPQ7SPcIQP33ebNkPI9_hFeuKNk5E4Z-Mms2MO2FKNAKFdSIp_Fgm2NNBMT6_JrwULiRsJOxomj0wmNNiHyi_BDeIJnaI6gOEOcwVDvczAN5RvG_iqmtSTJYrm2aZw-31j42XxpOTIWOTJiHctM8bYIrdu-i22drX1agML2Syk6ShMK-IFt4CJI0s7SUULB7BVCUpjtsqRFt-tFpulVoAJS4J228vsmd0YW5_v4tvBcp2iGgG5x8c2zHNgKf1DYLqtujQPFrCKxmk3eu8-2pJvirPagbklz1W0a1Vki9aehT_04Y8sFmSmbJHvX63YGT_XEgB0dgNqD4W8GKewGrLx-PemhRJlSySkGU_7cg2wA7djUwWj8O2x10mtZORKQhAiTAwwaQ4yt7JVIGobb11bTYe5FFZk-nubbGRGQ=w1520-h1011-no

I'm going to bring some frags to the swap. When I moved from my 37g to the 90g it broke up and I've got a few chunks I can swap finally.

Back