Neptune Aquatics

Thank You to Recent RO/Ammonia Poster

MolaMola

Supporting Member
I thought I read in the past couple days a post by one of you who said you had ammonia in your RODI water, but I can't find it now. Your post just saved our tanks! Last week we had a very unfortunate incident involving our BTA tank and a student acting without thinking during a dry ice lab. You can guess. Anyway, I acted quickly and thought disaster was averted. Then I came in Monday morning and one of our two nems was missing. It was completely gone except for a bit of the foot on the sand. Students doing water testing found ammonia in there and in the QT tank that has some frags and had been showing ammonia for a week. I did water changes Mon and Tues, still curious about the ammonia. At 3am I woke up and realized I have not changed the RODI filters since school started and am overdue. Yep - testing revealed ammonia in our RODI and SW this morning so there it is. Thank goodness I saw that post or I would have continued water changes and kept adding ammonia! (Dry ice student still deserved his class suspension and assignment about care of sea creatures, though.)

I thought I read in the past couple days a post by one of you who said you had ammonia in your RODI water, but I can't find it now. Your post just saved our tanks! Last week we had a very unfortunate incident involving our BTA tank and a student acting without thinking during a dry ice lab. You can guess. Anyway, I acted quickly and thought disaster was averted. Then I came in Monday morning and one of our two nems was missing. It was completely gone except for a bit of the foot on the sand. Students doing water testing found ammonia in there and in the QT tank that has some frags and had been showing ammonia for a week. I did water changes Mon and Tues, still curious about the ammonia. At 3am I woke up and realized I have not changed the RODI filters since school started and am overdue. Yep - testing revealed ammonia in our RODI and SW this morning so there it is. Thank goodness I saw that post or I would have continued water changes and kept adding ammonia! (Dry ice student still deserved his class suspension and assignment about care of sea creatures, though.)
I use these every time I collect RODI from my home unit:

Also, if you are dealing with :"rogue agents," maybe look into getting a Seneye Reef?
I believe @Wlachnit had posted one on PIF, so maybe he has some feedback on its operation...

I do have test strips. In a cabinet.
Hoping my membranes are okay if my TDS was fine and no ammonia in product now.

Back