High Tide Aquatics

This wind is scaring me...

I went out a few years ago and bought a large generator for power outages. It's crazy loud, but will power my entire tank......lights and all. I just put it in the shed with the windows open and let it run. Has worked pretty good. Used it 4 times now, I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An alternative is a 12V to 120V converter, and run your car as a generator.
A bit silly, yes, but it is a rare occurrence, and generators are a bit expensive, plus
tend to not work if they just sit for years.

Or just get a battery backup as you mentioned. If you use vortech, nice battery pack that works well. Saw one used the other day on reef central for $70. Never have to worry again. Maxspect has battery backup. I don't think Neptune wav has one yet but you can setup a UPS...

... and I have no battery backup for my tank :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just out of curiosity, in a pinch, if I had a straw and blew bubbles into the tank constantly, would that be enough to oxygenate the water and keep livestock alive until the power returns? Maybe a small tank and a big straw?

Just out of curiosity, in a pinch, if I had a straw and blew bubbles into the tank constantly, would that be enough to oxygenate the water and keep livestock alive until the power returns? Maybe a small tank and a big straw?

That would promote gas exchange at the surface of of the water. However if you don't have circulation that oxygen won't make its way down to the bottom very quickly. So a really long straw to blow bubble at the bottom of the tank would be better.... OR just get a battery powered air pump.

That would promote gas exchange at the surface of of the water. However if you don't have circulation that oxygen won't make its way down to the bottom very quickly. So a really long straw to blow bubble at the bottom of the tank would be better.... OR just get a battery powered air pump.
I would use a 3/4 pvc pipe and alternate ends of the tank. "Target feed" the corals. Who needs a battery?

Only if you took a video of you doing it and posted it :D

Supposedly a paddle works better.
Oxygenation is about both circulation and surface area. You need both, and the open tank top
provides enough surface area, so what you really need is circulation.

Anyone tried 12v Marine Battery and UPC-like accessory like this? https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-APS750-Inverter-Charger/dp/B0007PGAG6

For powering return pumps and/or heaters.

I did last year. A 12v deep cycle battery and an inverter. Ran a Jebao RW4 at full blast n small heater. This was in my old 40g aio. Was enough to keep most of my livestock alive. Power outage lasted over 24hrs.

Only casualty was a beautiful H. Magnifica that I had JUST finished qt'd. Had spent 14 days doing daily 100% wc n treating with antibiotics for infection and was looking great! Had to throw it into the DT during power outage because I couldn't run 2 tanks off the 1 battery. Went downhill real fast and lost it 3 days later. :(

I now have a 2kw Honda power generator.

Supposedly a paddle works better.
Oxygenation is about both circulation and surface area. You need both, and the open tank top
provides enough surface area, so what you really need is circulation.

Check it out:

Potatoes and H2O2 for oxygenation of water during power outage.

Does anyone have the Ice Cap Battery backup for the gyre? I wanted to build my own, but wondering if someone can help me. I am picking up a 12v battery tender, and 12v battery sealed lead acid battery. The Maxspect Gyre power supply shows output of 24v 4amps. I'm not sure which step up converter to get... do I need to match output of exactly 4amps, or getting with more amps is fine? I assume you just buy based on maxed capactity, so the 5amp or 12amp version should work? Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Waterpr...1487795916&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+to+24v+step+up

Back