Jestersix

Time for G.F.O.?

I have been testing my Phosphate with an API test kit and it always comes in at .25ppm or less. Today I picked up a Salifert test kit and it showed .5 and the API was showing .15-.25. My nitrates are holding steady at 5ppm. I would say that it is time to run GFO?
Cheers! Mark

Just start slow, don't use too much all at once. You don't want to lower it too fast, and gfo can have a lowering effect on your alk so keep an eye on that.
Are you using a media bag or reactor?

Just start slow, don't use too much all at once. You don't want to lower it too fast, and gfo can have a lowering effect on your alk so keep an eye on that.
Are you using a media bag or reactor?
I have one of those BRS mini reactors. It holds about 3/4 cup. I am using it for carbon and will just add some GFO to it also. Start with how much? a tablespoon? 1/4 cup?

It depends what brand/type you use. Start with between half of what they recommend and the amount they recommend.
I don't like to mix media in a reaxtor personally. You can do it where the carbon is sandwiched in tightly and the Gfo is separate and able to tumble a little, but that's kind of a pain to get just right. Otherwise mix it together and sandwich it in tightly so no tumbling. You don't want carbon to tumble.

I'd recommend using high capacity GFO as well if you haven't already bought some GFO. The amount of fines from regular GFO got on my nerves because it took so long to rinse and GFO granules were so small, it always got all over the sink. HC GFO rinses fairly quickly.

Check dosage for your size of tank and start off with half dose only and ramp up from there if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back