High Tide Aquatics

Trigger Sumps - Any suggestions?

Looking at these 3 models for my 40g tank.
If you own of these, what is your review? If you have something else in with a similar footprint (26Lx15wX15h), what is your suggestion?

I have both the triton and the sapphire. In general I like them, but I found that without some small modifications, they will never be silent.

See this post for what I did for the triton sump.

https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/randy’s-innovative-marine-75-ext.32907/post-472624

You can also add a filter media cup to the Sapphire (vs sock or block sponge), but the interchangeable plate that comes with it for a filter sock is oval and not the normal 4” round size. I do have an earlier version of the sapphire, so not sure if they changed this or not. If not, you will need to add a circle cut out of your own to replace (or add on top of) the oval plate, stick with their socks, or buy an 3d printed oval filter cup.

I have both the triton and the sapphire. In general I like them, but I found that without some small modifications, they will never be silent.

See this post for what I did for the triton sump.

https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/randy’s-innovative-marine-75-ext.32907/post-472624

You can also add a filter media cup to the Sapphire (vs sock or block sponge), but the interchangeable plate that comes with it for a filter sock is oval and not the normal 4” round size. I do have an earlier version of the sapphire, so not sure if they changed this or not. If not, you will need to add a circle cut out of your own to replace (or add on top of) the oval plate, stick with their socks, or buy an 3d printed oval filter cup.

Read the two mods. The waterfall mod, is that 3d printed or purchased somewhere?

For the Triton 26: Are you not using filter socks? and why use an external chaeto box, when chamber 1 seems to be empty? Also, no protein skimmer ? :cool:

Read the two mods. The waterfall mod, is that 3d printed or purchased somewhere?

For the Triton 26: Are you not using filter socks? and why use an external chaeto box, when chamber 1 seems to be empty? Also, no protein skimmer ? :cool:

The waterfall mod is a DIY made from scrap acrylic and egg crate I had laying around.

No filter socks or media cups. I put a fan on top of the first chamber making it slightly more difficult to add a light and I prefer an external fuge anyway. It keeps chateo out of the skimmers (if you have one) and return pumps and adds to the total system water volume.

First Fan lid

https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/randy’s-innovative-marine-75-ext.32907/post-472625

Second fan lid after the first one warped

https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/randy’s-innovative-marine-75-ext.32907/post-472881

No skimmer. Bioload isn’t that much and with the fuge and frag compartment running at night, I don’t get much of a pH swing and keeping nitrates up requires daily dosing of sodium nitrate. Plus, less hardware, less for me to maintain or worry about breaking.

Last edited:
The waterfall mod is a DIY made from scrap acrylic and egg crate I had laying around.

No filter socks or media cups. I put a fan on top of the first chamber making it slightly more difficult to add a light and I prefer an external fuge anyway. It keeps chateo out of the skimmers (if you have one) and return pumps and adds to the total system water volume.

First Fan lid

https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/randy’s-innovative-marine-75-ext.32907/post-472625

Second fan lid after the first one warped

https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/randy’s-innovative-marine-75-ext.32907/post-472881

No skimmer. Bioload isn’t that much and with the fuge and frag compartment running at night, I don’t get much of a pH swing and keeping nitrates up requires daily dosing of sodium nitrate. Plus, less hardware, less for me to maintain or worry about breaking.
This will be connected to a 40g frag tank without rocks. For the triton v2 26, do you think the first chamber can work with bio-media, second chamber protein skimmer.

Seems like every frag tank I have seen has some kind of bio-media.

thanks!

This will be connected to a 40g frag tank without rocks. For the triton v2 26, do you think the first chamber can work with bio-media, second chamber protein skimmer.

Seems like every frag tank I have seen has some kind of bio-media.

thanks!

Sure. I’m sure there are a ton of reefers running it that way. If you have sand and live rock in the display tank, there’s really no need for any bio media.

I like having bio media in the tank so that I can seed temp tanks quickly. Also good to have for new reefers to swap with to seed their tanks.

My brick of choice is the Maxspect Nano-bricks. They don’t crumble like most of the others and come in a compact size.

Sure. I’m sure there are a ton of reefers running it that way. If you have sand and live rock in the display tank, there’s really no need for any bio media.

I like having bio media in the tank so that I can seed temp tanks quickly. Also good to have for new reefers to swap with to seed their tanks.

My brick of choice is the Maxspect Nano-bricks. They don’t crumble like most of the others and come in a compact size.

Thanks Randy, always appreciate the time you spend offering your advice. I just noticed the description. 1 piece of the Nano-Tech Blocks equals 20lbs of Live Rock?

Last edited:
I guess my question really is will it replace the 20lb of live rocks as far as a biological filter. For example, if my total water volume for a frag tank is 60g, and considering 1lb of live rock per gallon, would I just need 3 of these to run in my frag tank for a bio filtration?

I never had a frag tank before, so curious how much bio filtration media I would need.

Bioload of a frag tank is typically smaller than a display so lots of biofilter is likely not needed.

I have a ruby and if I were running biofilter media I'd get the blocks and place in between the baffles before the return chamber so water flows over it continuously.

It would depend on bioload, but I would guess 1 would likely be enough. You’ll have frag plugs and other surfaces that will be used as well for bacteria. It wouldn’t hurt to put three in of course. Bacteria will only populate as much as food will sustain their numbers.

Probably will foul with sponges and other higher level organisms, plus is it really much better than live rock? BRS's own testing had the Marinepure block they were trying to sell as porous as Fiji live rock:
Screenshot_20230221-100517.png

Both the Marinepure and Maxspect are rated as having the same porosity specs too.

I suppose it fits into baffles and isn't sourced from the wild too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230221-100517.png
    Screenshot_20230221-100517.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 42
Marine pure is speculated to eventually leaching aluminum into the water column. Not sure if maxspect does the same or not.
Yeah I’ve read on other forums in the past that Marine pur leaches aluminum based on ICP tests before and after..The ICP tests regarding Maxspect nano showed no aluminum reported on other forms but those were just regular hobbyists don’t think I’ve seen any published papers on those..

Back