Reef nutrition

troubleshoot a tripping GFCI

sid700

Supporting Member
Hello. I'm trying to figure out why my GFCI keeps tripping. I have not added anything new to the circuit.

The circuit had already tripped after I got back home on Sun pm. It tripped again that evening after lights out. So I just took the following off-line :

ATO + pump (piston pump. forget the brand)*
kalk reactor powerhead (MJ 900)*
2 part doser (Masterflex peristaltic)*
skimmer pump (sedra)*
UV

I left the following on-line before going to bed:

Return pump (Mag 9)*
Pump for UV/GFO/carbon (Eheim 1250)*
300 watt heater (swapped with an identical one, Visi-Therm)*
150 w fuge light (Ice Cap ballast, coralife 10k bulb)*
all lights (VHO, MH) are online but off.*
1 vortech
1 powerhead (MJ 900) plugged into a Natural Wavemaker (cycled outlet)
DC8 & DC4

All of the above are plugged into the 20 AMP circuit and the GFCI that trips.

Other items that remained plugged-in but on another circuit:
AC Jr. controller^
1 vortech ^
2 korallia nano ^

*= items plugged in AC Jr
^ = items plugged into a UPS

It tripped again overnight. I un-tripped the GFCI and unplugged the Natural Wavemaker before heading for work. Any thoughts on what maybe tripping my GFCI?

What brand are the other powerheads?
It is not uncommon for them to leak electricity.
You may have to figure it out by process of elimination.
I am no electician!

It could just be a faulty GFCI. Try replacing it. I've had several go out on my over the years.

The store I sued to work at had them go out every year or so. We just kept extras as back-ups.

I'm betting it's the halide. Just google metal halide gfci there are way too many questions involving GFCIs tripping for it to simply be a "faulty GFCI". There most likely is some fundamental design flaw with how HID lighting works on magnetic ballasts that make it not very compatible with GFCIs, I've said this many times before but I think it has to do with the finite amount of time the capacitors take to charge/discharge that gives enough of a variance between hot & neutral that it makes a GFCI trip.

Mh's IME turn GFCI's faulty. Ones not on my MH circuit last for ever. Ones on the MH circuit become faulty and no matter what circuit they are on after that, they'll trip randomly. Bill (BeanAnimal) explained it to me once, I'll get him to tell me once more.

My GFIs used to trip a lot, mainly due to MH or VHO (320watt) lighting. Over time they tripped so much I eliminated them, now I don't use GFIs anymore (went through a few) since when I go on vacation it could trip and there goes the tank. I'm not recommending going w/o GFI, but just sharing my experiences and frustrations with them and the route I chose. I did read on a thread a while back on RC about a higher quality GFI, 'Lexan' maybe, and supposebly it didnt' false trip, but I have nothing to go off of except someone's post.

I have have GFCI's on everything for over 2 years with no troubles.
However, all 10 of them are on two separate breakers.
I try not to use one GFCI for more than one thing that could take down a critical system.
I have noticed that old power heads/submersible pumps are most likely to trip them.
I don't have any more of them in my tank or sump though.

Same with mine too. MH magnetic ballast causes my GFI to tripped, even my aquacontroller DC8 would act abnormally. Usually happens on a low cost type magnetc ballast, but everthing is fine after I changed them all to electronic ballast.

xinumaster said:
Same with mine too. MH magnetic ballast causes my GFI to tripped, even my aquacontroller DC8 would act abnormally. Usually happens on a low cost type magnetc ballast, but everthing is fine after I changed them all to electronic ballast.
I only use E-Ballasts and it's always been an issue with my E-ballasts and GFCI :(

The lame part is, is my power gets cut for like only 5-10 minutes, my MH bulb doesn't have enough time to cool so when the power comes on it trips the circuit :(

I run most of my GFCI for their own circuit as well.

Anymore, I only GFI "wet" equipment: pumps and heater. My MH would trip the GFI constantly so moved it off...and then I slowly migrated the rest.

I went home for lunch and the tank is still running, lights are on and the water has heated up - now at 75 deg from 71.

So I'm hoping Erin's correct that the culprit is my MJ 900 that's attached to the wavemaker. I'll plug-in the other accessories one-by-one and see how it goes. Thank you everyone.

Other thoughts: If I plug-in the MJ into the DC8, will it still cause the GFI to trip? The DC8 is connected to the GFI.

ON the flipside I've had more then a handful of pumps that had stray voltage and my GFCI never popped.

And yes, if the MJ is truly the problem, if the GFCI is doing it's job, being plugged into the DC* will still trip it.

Back