Reef nutrition

Tubs blue zoas

Hello,

I have one frag of this available for DBTC.

Rules:

1. Give two frags back into DBTC program
2. Give me back a frag if I lose my colony

Person who gives the best pickup line wins!

Nice ones guys. I have a frag for you Screebo, and I will make another frag for bigdeeezy. Pick up at december meeting if that works for you guys.

Thanks very much, sendo. I'll give them a place of honor in the tank and have very little blue in my tank color pallet now.

See you at the Pot Luck!

sendo said:
Nice ones guys. I have a frag for you Screebo, and I will make another frag for bigdeeezy. Pick up at december meeting if that works for you guys.

might not be able to make it to the dec meeting. where are you located? maybe i can pick it up?

Question for the group:
My frag of Tubbs Blues is growing fast! Rapidly growing out in between the Tubbs blues are some small clove polyps. Although attractive, I know lthey can really get out of hand. Is there any easy way to eliminate the clove polyps without disturbing the Zoas?

You can remove them with tweezers or a soft toothbrush IMO. They seem to come off easily. It is a good idea to get rid of them while there are only a few. They took over my tank and I can't get rid of them.

Thanks, Sendo. It's ironic that they "look so pretty" and are actually a potential nuisance waiting to happen. I have some very large clove polyps that I introduced to the tank. They are called "Star Gazers" and are very attractive. They do, however, send out runners that grow very quickly. A case of natures ability to survive and prosper! I'm tardy about posting update shots and will get "on it" soon!

Happy New Year! :party:

Here's a pic showing those little bugger clove polyps. I'll get after them before they move on.
IMG_1120.jpg

I examined this frag under high magnification and found the little clove polyps were completely suffocating the Tubs Zoas and completely encrusted them with new little polyp starts. I tried to dip and eliminate the clove polyps but they continued to survive. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to sacrifice the Tubs to prevent spreading of the invasive clove polyps.

I'm trying one last radical treatment before giving up but I don't hold out much hope. I've taken the frag out of the tank and left it exposed to air for about 30 minutes, then used a tooth brush to scrub the surface of the frag and returned it to the tank after rinsing in tank water. As expected, the zoas completely closed up during the process and hopefully, I may have removed the clove polyps with the brush. The frag is now back in the tank and I do NOT see any clove polyps opening. I don't see any of the Tubs opening, as yet either. :(

Cautious update: clove polyps didn't make it through the shock treatment but the tubs just might be trying to open up after a week of dormancy. :) If I'm so lucky to see then re open, I'll change status back to "growing out". :)

Well, I was a little too hopeful. My shock treatment ended up killing the Tubs just fine but the anthelia came back. Good try though! I've only got one type of clove polyp that look like giant anthelia and have pink veins with green centers. They are also invasive but look like I planned it that way. Good news is there were no anthelia on the frag of Devils Armor you gave me and it's already starting to multiply. Update pics to that DBTC post soon.

Sorry about that screebo. I have been trying to get rid of those blue cloves for a while. They are EVERYWHERE though so it is a little tough. Jim told me it might be a nutrient problem and I am contemplating going BB. We will see though. I would offer a replacement, but I think most of my colony have those annoying blue polyps.

Back