Neptune Aquatics

tunze or vortech

boun11

Supporting Member
I have two choices for flow in my tank. My tank has a lot of sps and lps.

Option 1: two vortech MP40w with EcoSmart driver-- the noises on the motor can be annoying.
Option 2: two Tunze 6100.1 with 7095 multi-controller
Option 3: Keep all 4 of them running. :)

Any thoughts?

how big is the tank? How much sps, how much LPS?
There should be at least 1 thread here with pros-cons of Vortech and Tunze. For me I use vortech and am happy, but it is noisy and has broken down a few times. Ecotech has good customer support though.

I have 120 gallon tank. Here is the most recent picture from my journal: http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9216?page=3

I'm happy with the vortech too but the noises can be annoying. I need to decide which one to keep and sell the other.

Boun you don't need all 4. Personally I love my Vortechs. I can't say anything about the Tunzes because I don't know that much about them, I have never owned 1. I think that either will get the job done so it just boils down to personal prefrence.

I have the (2) MP40W ES and use NTM and I'm happy with it. The noise doesn't bother me at all. My skimmer is louder than the pumps.

Might wanna check this link posted awhile back.

The whirring sound on the Vortechs might get to annoy if you want total silence, specially at night otherwise they are just fine. Would be a matter of whether you like a can sized pump inside or half can in and half can out. I don't recall the Tunze to be noisier than the Vortech but the alarm is a bit on the loud side in case the impeller seizes.

Either option would work good IMO, as to the noise factor depends upon where the tank is, if its in a bedroom then yeah it could be an issue, if not, I dunno IMO the skimmer is one of the loudest tank things you'll deal with.

As to either vortech or tunze, they're both good products, its all a matter of aesthetics, do the tunze pumps take away too much because they're large in the tank?

I like them both

Vortech-> non intrusive, low heat transfer, fun little controller, great wide flow pattern, wetside is easy to clean, they break, and are noisy, non adjustable flow direction

Tunze-> they go forever, quiet, the 7095 is a fine little unit, they push a massive amount of water in a more laminar fashion than the Vortechs (good for longer tanks), the alarm is crazy loud, they are a bit of a PITA to clean, the mounts suck

Just a few things off the top of my head

Not sure if Tunze has it offered, but Ecotech has a nice parts store to replace any component should you need to.
http://ecotechmarine.com/parts-store/

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I hooked one of the 6100 pump up last night and planning on to hook the other one up and test it out and see if I like it. I am planning to turn off the vortech while testing out the tunze. I can see why the tunze pump is a PITA to clean. Be on the look out one of the setup on the pump soon :)

I just fill a bucket with some vinegar, turn the pumps off and toss them into the vinegar, rinse and put back into the tank. Unhooking them to remove them is too much of a PITA.

tuberider said:
Generally Tunzes don't break, so the "parts store" isn't to important :D

Not true. The Tunze forum is filled with broken issues, just a little less then Vortech ;) The first run of the nano streams was a MASSIVE POS and tons of people had broken pumps. All 6 of mine failed at every point a pump can fail at, no joke.

My Tunze is louder then the MP10 I tried on my tank. I think the room acoustics, tank, etc play a huge roll in that as I have been to other house that had both and the Vortech was louder at one of them. To be clear, this is during night time mode. My Tunze AND the Vortech in room were silent, but in other rooms you could hear the motor whirl loud and clear.

Missed that :lol: (not kidding) :lol:

They do break less then Vortech's but i wonder how much is user error (placement) then actual product limitations?

Honestly depends upon the tank dimensions.

For my 4' x 3' tank I might use Tunzes over Vortechs simply because the depth doesn't make the tunzes as intrusive plus you can angle them in different directions. That said, I have Vortechs on my current setup.

Now if I had your standard 18 or 24 inch deep tank and I didn't have to buy anything, I most definitely would toss the Vortechs on the sides and be done with it.

Back