Our mission

Two Little Fishes Phosban Reacter 150

I'm not getting the most from my phosban reacter. I'm using Rowa Phos in a layer of about 3 " thick. I've got a problem when I turn up the flow that the media starts making it's way out the output pretty fast. Jeremy suggested using more sponge layers. I need to do that but also wonder if I've got everything plumbed up correctly. When it's running, not much is coming out in order for it to not puke tiny red balls. When I went to change it today, it was nearly solid and all these guys were living in the unit. Please tell me what these dudes are and how I can better set up and use my phosban reacter
IMG_1162.jpg

They are perfectly fine John and tend to grow pretty quick, so it's inevitable.

AFA the media, the flow is bottom to top correct? If so then then media should be at a rolling boil and not a turbulent mess. I use either a Maxi-Jet 400 or a Mini-Jet (preferred) that way you're not throttling back the pump too much and wasting energy.

Aye, Skipper. I've got a flow control on the minijet pump and hold it at a rolling boil. I've tried to calculate how long it would take to exhange the entire tank and it seems like it would take days to exhange the system just once. Do I recall that NONE of the phosphate test kits are very accurate but an expensive meter is? Should I test for phosphates? I stll have much more nuisance algae than I'd like to see but I attribute that to the age of the tank (4 months). Coral is healthy and phosban reacter is running.

How often do you change your media? I change mine out every two weeks to be on the safe side, and now since I have more fish I'll probably change it out every week. The reason being is that I don't want my corals having to adjust constantly to different phosphate levels and overkill seems like a good option to me. :)

John,

In addition to Jeremy's awesome points, check out the BRS video on GFO. You can kind of see what Jeremy is talking about. I know the video helped me out a lot. Also, their calculator will give you a good estimate on how much you should have in your reactor.

Here is the link to video: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-tv/carbon-gfo-videos
And the calculator: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/reef-calculator Make sure you fill in the total volume at the top of the page.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Jeremy and Monzer. I'm on it. :)
I was going 5 weeks on media change. I'll step it up to bi-weekly. Looks like I'm using about the right amount of media....about 3 " should be somewhere around .8 cups and seems about right.

Back