got ethical husbandry?

Underwater Cameras?

When I went to Belize many many years ago, I bought an underwater camera (fricken thing costs $400!) it's basically an enclosure with a pretty darn cheap fixed focus camera in it. The camera itself is remarkably low tech. I wish I could retro-fit the casing to take my digital!

Anyway, anyone here use an underwater camera? Which one? film/digital?

V

I do underwater video and pics with a sony HDR-HC3 and a seatool ultra housing.

FWIU any of the olympus/cannon/nikon consumer digital cameras and housing will do great. I bought a rig for Eddie before the first Tonga trip - a powershot and housing. Not bat at all for around 600 bucks total.

$400 - $2000 for most SLR enclosures. One of the downsides is sometimes they only allow for specific lenses on the camera body =( The super expensive ones you need a lens port specific to the lens you want to use to attach to the case. These are usually $2000+lensport.

There are more generic ones, but then the functions on your lens are basically unreachable.

I haven't done much more research than that.

I know there are underwater enclosures for your digital point and shoots as well that work perfectly for that model.

bhphotovideo would be a good place to start browsing.

Here's their undewater photography page:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=FetchChildren&Q=&ci=5235

I would try NOT to think of "underwater cameras" rather just get a good housing for your preferred land camera.

I LOVE my Gates Housing : http://www.gateshousings.com/, but they are a little pricy!

The main consideration for underwater photography IMO is light - It vanished very quickly, at depth.

As for film vs digital? I would never use film underwater. If you get a 5% hit rate of "keepable" picture then you did wel ;-) So digital is the only option IMO

some people are just so good they can shoot film underwater, and can get 50% keepable photos ;)

me? I'll maybe get 1 ever 30th dive, haha, so digital is a must for me. I think it differs for different people.

50% keepable, unheard of Art. Having talked to many major hitters, even they rarely hit 30%.

hey, some people have low standards ;) haha.

I know what you mean, 50% was more of an exaggeration =P

but I think I agree that shooting underwater is even harder than on land, thus digital would be the way to go =)

Back