Our mission

Velvet and itch questions

Will velvet and itch transfer from Coral to fish? or these two symptoms can expose when fish got stress. I think my tank has either once of this problem. I am start seeing my fish got white spot and fish start dying for last three day. I restart tank from crash, most of the fish been at least in the tank for more than three months except the Gem tang that in the tank for around 2 months. The gem tang still survive. I only add corals from different sources lately and I dipped all coral before put in the tank except the csb anemone. beside remove the fish and treat on separate tank, any other solution to treat them?

Marine Velvet and Ich(itch?) are parasites that attack fish and only fish. That said, some of their stages absolutely can lay dormant in a tank that has nothing but coral, they won't attack the coral in the same way, but they can stay in a tank.

If they have Marine Velvet expect fish to die VERY quickly, if they have Ich then it'll be a slower process, and with a healthy enough fish they could live with it, however if they do it doesn't mean that "you won" it simply means the fish don't show much in the way of symptoms. But if fish get stressed out, then it is possible for the problems to show themselves more readily.

But the short answer is, no you can't treat the tank with corals/inverts in it.

Lifecycle for eggs is about 28 days, so if you want to be safe can QT corals.

However, the likelihood is that you've always had it in your tank, and stress triggered the outbreak.

I suggest using Imaginatarium Parasite remedy. Worked well for me consistently. Reef safe too

I've also had good luck with Parasite Remedy in my last tank, and have used Ich attack with success as well.

I know what people say about these treatments, and it may very well be that Ich is still in my tank, but I went from almost every fish showing signs to no fish showing signs, but YMMV

The one time I got velvet long time ago it completly wiped out all my fish..none survived in relatively short term..
As mike said, ID is important cause if its ich it should be more managable and can be treated in tank.
At that time I did not know the diffrence and I thought it was ich..nothing worked:((

3 fish death in 3 days, that sounds more like marine velvet than ich.

Out of curiosity where have been the fish you've gotten? Any "questionable" stores? e.g. 6th Avenue Aquarium (and Flowers :D)

It should be very rare to get ich/velvet from coral.
Yes, you could have cysts on the base, which could hatch and infect the tank.
(A good reason to toss the base before you dip)
But most stores do not run coral and fish on the same system.

Believe it or not, that parasite remedy stuff i used actually saved my fish from velvet as well... went for daily deaths to none
I totally believe that is what you observed.
But the life cycle of ich/velvet and the way it interacts with the immune system can show exactly the same effects if you had done nothing.
So did that stuff truly cure them ... maybe, maybe not. Impossible to say without a real study.

The amazon reviews for that product are telling.
About half: It worked great.
Some others: It killed all my fish.
Tiny sample size though. Not enough reviews yet.
https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...r&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

I totally believe that is what you observed.
But the life cycle of ich/velvet and the way it interacts with the immune system can show exactly the same effects if you had done nothing.
So did that stuff truly cure them ... maybe, maybe not. Impossible to say without a real study.

The amazon reviews for that product are telling.
About half: It worked great.
Some others: It killed all my fish.
Tiny sample size though. Not enough reviews yet.
https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...r&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar
Man I have never heard anyone recovered from velvet. Even BRS admitted that they lost all their fish early in their 160 series from velvet and said there was nothing they could have done... am suprised you think there is a cure that not many ppl know by now, unless it was jot velvet rather ich..ich can be cured, every tang I add get ich but recover. Even the gem tang I added recently, it got ich bad, but it recovered...As long as system is healthy, feeding is balanced they bounce back.

Man I have never heard anyone recovered from velvet. Even BRS admitted that they lost all their fish early in their 160 series from velvet and said there was nothing they could have done... am suprised you think there is a cure that not many ppl know by now, unless it was jot velvet rather ich..ich can be cured, every tang I add get ich but recover. Even the gem tang I added recently, it got ich bad, but it recovered...As long as system is healthy, feeding is balanced they bounce back.

I’ve gotten Velvet and had around 4 out of 11 survive. But you have about 1 day at most 2 to get them into a copper hospital tank when you first see the symptoms. I was lucky though, it was my growout tank when it was first starting up so there were only egg crates in there. It made it so easy to catch the fish because there wasn’t anything in the way like rocks or coral.

I’ve gotten Velvet and had around 4 out of 11 survive. But you have about 1 day at most 2 to get them into a copper hospital tank when you first see the symptoms. I was lucky though, it was my growout tank when it was first starting up so there were only egg crates in there. It made it so easy to catch the fish because there wasn’t anything in the way like rocks or coral.
You had to treat with cupper thu...are you aware of any in tank treatment that is reef friendly? At that time I could not take the fish out and couldnot treat in tank..

The fish were pretty badly covered and was losing several a day...perhaps coincidental but when i started dosing, the loss slowed down.

Another reefer whose tank i knew absolutely had velvet had similar results.

Only 2 data points but in my book better than nothing especially given how difficult it is to catch all fish in a big tank

You had to treat with cupper thu...are you aware of any in tank treatment that is reef friendly? At that time I could not take the fish out and couldnot treat in tank..

Zero. Only proven options to get rid of velvet is to remove and treat with copper or formaldehyde in hospital tank and then let the display tank go fallow for at least 6 weeks.

I’ve had velvet three times
Wiped out most of my fish. I have one survivor my
Humu triggerfish. 3 time velvet survivor

I don’t like the fish as it killed a few others of mine but do have this weird survivor connection with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull the Gem out if you can and treat it with copper. Velvet is a bad parasite I've had it and lost all my fish. If you only have the Gem left and can catch it take it out and leave the tank fallow (Without fish) for a month, I believe its 12 days but I'd do a month. If you have Ich, Ich is worse IMO. You'd need to have no fish in tank for 72 days. You can distinguish between ich and velvet by the parasite size. Velvet is tiny dots all over fish and Ich is more like a salt grain size. I've been successful with Kick-Ich once and it never came back. Kick-Ich is also reef safe.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I don’t have quarantine system set up. After two week pay close attention, i got total 4 fish died, all the remaining fish back to normal, they are eatting well and I see less white spot on them. The fish gone are a pair of orange storm clown, flame angle and power blue tang. The yellow belly, gem tang, rabbit fish, gold flake, coral beauty, four fire fish are still healthy. I think I got itch from stress, not velvet.

Back