Neptune Aquatics

Vortech MP20

Has anyone used this or currently using it. I am thinking about putting one (mp20) on my 75 gallon. How powerful is it and will it be the only power head I would need. I really like the idea of a wave like motion in my tank over just streaming jets of water.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=6459.msg82930#msg82930 date=1235113118]
As your only flow in a 75, I'd highly recommend the MP40 (I'm using a 40 on my 40g right now)
[/quote]
Would that be enough for a 75 long? Of course I still have the return pump so it wouldn't be my only flow in the tank just the primary flow.

If your tank isn't flow hungry (which is the case of an SPS tank), then you may be ok. Personally, I would want two MP40s

I do have sps in my tank but I wouldnt call it an sps tank. Could I use other power heads as well or will they screw up the wave pattern?

They will alter the flow pattern, but that isn't necessarily bad :) If you are looking to generate a standing wave, it will make it harder.

I guess the real question is, is the vortec system enough flow with just a wave pattern to sustain LPS or any other corals with high flow needs?

[quote author=Reefdad link=topic=6459.msg83059#msg83059 date=1235162964]
I guess the real question is, is the vortec system enough flow with just a wave pattern to sustain LPS or any other corals with high flow needs?
[/quote]

If you went with the MP40, then probably yes. However, I wouldn't rely on the Wave mode. I started off using the Wave mode when I first put the MP20 in my 28g tank. Although it looks pretty cool, my LPS's didn't seem to enjoy it much. It wasn't until I put it on Reef Crest mode that I got better polyp extension.

If you're considering the MP20 versus the MP40 based on price, then I would get the MP20, and just try it out on your tank. If you need more flow, I've read that you can upgrade the MP20 to a MP40 by purchasing the wave driver.

[quote author=Reefdad link=topic=6459.msg83059#msg83059 date=1235162964]
[/quote]

On a wave (pulse) mode no. On reefcrest mode yes. Typically wave action is used as additional flow. You will still need other powerheads if you want to use a vortech to create a wave in your tank.

But for the price there are other options like wave boxes that control powerheads. Is it really worth the money or would I be just as good with 3 or 4 good powerheads?

I decided to go with a couple of Vortechs for several reasons.

1) they are very energy efficient
2) they are easier to clean vs. a std powerhead
3) the motor is not submersed in water
4) the have a nice battery backup you can buy with it
5) Everything I have heard about the pumps and or the customet service has been stellar
6) they move a crap load of water for their size
7) they are designed to be controlled and can be synced with other vortechs (master/slave)

Bryan... how many vortechs did you go with? 20's or 40's? other than your circulation return are you using a closed loop or other ph's for flow also?

I went with 2 40's along with my closed loop (Sequence Dart) and my return a mag 18. the flow from the Mag 18 is at a minimum as I don't want to turn my tank over a ton to get optimum efficiency from my skimmer.

While I love my vortechs in my 180, they're hardly "needed". I very easily could have gone with a lot cheaper of a route like modded maxijets or K4 pumps, however I do kind of like not having any wires in the tank, plus the long pulse I have it on makes me happy about what it does.

Thanks... I'm considering the 2 40's with battery back up to replace the 4 koralias in my 120. I would like to have the wires disappear and a lesser presence of hardware in the DT.

2 mp40w's would be plenty of pump for your tank. I'm very happy with my vortechs, unlike Mike I feel they are "needed". :)

Back