High Tide Aquatics

Wanted: Mini Brittle stars or Asterina stars for Bongo Shrimp

I pulled the trigger on some Bongo shrimp (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/feature-articles/bongo-shrimp-7190/#.W-uAsnpKjmE) and they need a strict diet of mini brittle stars and asterinas -- I have a good population in my tank, but they will end up needing 40 or so a week so I'm sourcing them now! Anyone out there have these guys running rampant in their tanks (as they are prone to do)? Also, anyone out there keeping these critters? I love that they look like the Ice King from Game of Thrones. TIA!

Might want to consider getting a small group of chocolate chip starfish and sumping them so that you have a ready supply of food for them.

Mini brittle stars are relatively hard to remove from the tank without ripping them to pieces. They do come over from frags and rockwork, but continuous manual removal isn't the best option.

You are welcome to fish asterina starfish out of my display, you could probably collect 100, but I recommend against any asterinas in case one survives and you also end up with a scourge of asterinas. I would go choc. chip starfish route for that reason. Asterinas are good for eating algae but they also have a taste for my nice purple sponge and micro-zoas. My “next tank” would be asterina free. I only haven’t gotten a harlequin shrimp yet because it would probably eat my urchin.

Back