Jestersix

Water Height In Sump Return Chamber

Just curious,

My sump is drain>skimmer>fuge>return with 3 wall bubble trap between fuge and return.

In the return chamber, what level do you keep the water in relation to the last baffle. A little below, exact even, or a little higher? Does it really matter?

I keep mine a little below.

If you keep it higher than the last baffle it will raise the water height in the entire sump. By keeping it a tad below the last baffle you'll give yourself the most buffer from the return area running dry and the rest of the sumps water level should be maintained at a constant height.

Good luck with the build. I'd like to see pics. I like sump designs. Here's my custom sump when I was building out my Elos 70. It had a weird footprint.

sump6_rear_right.jpg

I also keep it below the baffle, but as high as possible while making sure that there is enough capacity in the sump to hold all the water when the return pump stops.

Of course, this is something you experiment with after the tank and sump are filled with water.

I also find that keeping the water level higher helps with minimizing microbubbles from the sump getting back into the main tank.

Back