High Tide Aquatics

water question

Ok, so I have been incubating some live rock I got through Bruce, that was good to go into a tank. I added a little bio-spira and have kept a heater and a powerhead going. I'm testing now for nitrates and ammonia. Given those tests are good, is it ok to add my marine pure balls for their seeding?

I am switching out my sump today with my new Trigger Ruby 36, and will then place them in the refugium. I plan to take some of them to my school tank friday.

Any other concerns about the water the rocks have been chilling in?

I appreciate all the help and support from this club. You really make my reefing experience much more positive and fun.

Super excited to get the classroom tank running

Your tests are good for nitrates and ammonia because you never started the cycle by "feeding" the tank. Which is good -- you didn't want to just to prepare the rock (which should have been prepared anyway as it was in a heated, circulating environment for months. Adding the marine pure balls won't hurt anything at this point, but they aren't really going to be "seeded." Simply adding biospira to a container will not grow the beneficial bacteria you need because there was nothing in that environment to sustain and feed them and allow the population to grow.

Nothing till the tank is set up since that's being done this week anyway. Then you have options -- you can dose ammonia chloride, start the cycle with part of a dead shrimp, ghost feed the tank, etc

Back