Kessil

Weird Zoa problem

I have about 5-6 different zoa colonies and some of them have developed a condition I have not seen in zoa before.
I recently fragged them and attached to rock rubble (2 weeks ago) and today I noticed that most of zoa are loose.
I thought I didn't not glue them well enough but no. It looks like the base of zoa are disappearing and polyps just fall off the base. By lightly shaking the rock I saw half of polyps just fall off.

My tank is fairly new but all corals were in my old tank for years.
And it can't be bad fragging since I fragged hundreds of zoa in past 5 years.

I noticed some white substance where the base of zoa colony usually is. Not sure if it's some kind of pox or just glue. it's somewhat translucent.

I also posted it here: http://reefoverflow.vova.org/questions/weird-zoa-problem-polyps-falling-off-the-base
In case people are adventurous enough to try.

I think either its tissue is irritated maybe by the glue or the base is being eaten. Can I see a photo of the main colony and the frag?

Glue won't easily stick to a zoa. They need to have at least a little of the last disk or rock still attached to glue them to a new disc. You can also use a little thread and tie them on to the plug of disc. Once they are happy and growing they'll stick like crazy as they will grow onto the disc as they are putting out new heads.

Back