Welcome to Miami Beach O’ War

Discussion in 'The Eutrophic Zone' started by JVU, Jan 26, 2018.

1. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

We’re on vacation to celebrate a friend’s birthday in Miami Beach this weekend. It’s very windy but of course I head straight to the ocean.

Much to my surprise the beach is littered with these:

[​IMG]

At which point I switch to a look-but-don’t-touch attitude about the water at this beach. Much like my attitude at the nightclubs along this beach lol.

2. jorahx4

jorahx4 Supporting Member

it was the same way when i visited 6 years ago.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Wow, I've seen big blobs of "jelly" on the beach up and down the California coast before, but never with tentacles like that, so deeply colored

4. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

Did you do any swimming?

5. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

I didn’t try going in the ocean with those guys around. There are a lot of them. At least not without covering up like a wet suit which I don’t have with me.

It’s very windy on the beach anyway. The sand is blowing hard enough to feel like tiny needles hitting your legs the whole time. My wife lasted about 60 seconds on the beach.

The kitesurfers are pretty amazing though, apparently this is exactly the weather they like! Pretty amazing to watch.

I would love to go snorkeling in the keys nearby but apparently “there’s no time for that this trip”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro