Reef nutrition

What is this?

Corallus

Supporting Member
Putting this out to the collective BAR hive mind for input. I just picked up some of these gorgeous little green anemones that I’d never seen before, but as I was getting ready to add them to my tank, it occurred to me they look kind of like a majanos. I’ve seen standard plain majanos, but I’ve never (not yet anyways) had to deal with them. I recall reading somewhere there are green versions, but have not seen them in person. If it helps, the stalk on these is pure bright fluorescent green. And the oxide zoas are a small polyp zoa for size reference, so a little bigger than Majanos I’ve seen. They’re pretty, but not pretty enough for them to take over the whole tank.

Anyone know what these are?
8D822504-A5F4-4895-9A54-0263C43F8621.jpeg

I haven’t seen majanos larger than zoas/palys.
I believe @650is350 /Charles gave me a gorgeous GBTA similar in color to those in the picture.

Hey Mario, this is why I'm confused. Majano's are one of the few pests I know of that I haven't had to deal with. So when I saw these, all I thought was "those are cool", almost like when I fist saw those miserable little blue clove polyps that take over everything. They do look kind of like little bubble tips, but I've never seen solid green ones. There are 2 in a snail shell on the left, and a mostly closed one on the right - I took this with my phone, in just room lighting, next to a window. The base glows green. Under blues, they're solid green.
IMG_1304.jpeg

A long time ago in an aquarium not so fat away, my brother bought a rock with many nice looking things; it turned out to be a rock of limited edition majanos. Back then we didn’t know, they just looked nice.
Better safe than sorry and isolate them.
Matt’s opinion seems to be the guideline; BTW @Matt_Wandell Are you back in SF’s CalAcademy?

I picked up some thinking these were going to be another variant of the Hawaiian nems (grabbed them via proxy through another reefer so really didn't get to see properly). They are indeed part of the majano family. The largest spans about 1.5" across which is about the top end of how large they grow...

That said, they are pretty in their own right, and since I was restarting my pest tank to be a misc. species tank, these were perfect for that. I've had other variants that didn't grow to plague proportions that were yellow so hoping this variant will be tame enough as well.

Now if I can only find a source to replace my gracilis nems (green with pink tips, probably a close cousin)....

I picked up some thinking these were going to be another variant of the Hawaiian nems (grabbed them via proxy through another reefer so really didn't get to see properly). They are indeed part of the majano family. The largest spans about 1.5" across which is about the top end of how large they grow...

That said, they are pretty in their own right, and since I was restarting my pest tank to be a misc. species tank, these were perfect for that. I've had other variants that didn't grow to plague proportions that were yellow so hoping this variant will be tame enough as well.

Now if I can only find a source to replace my gracilis nems (green with pink tips, probably a close cousin)....
Not doubting you one bit. Far from it, but where are you pulling this info from besides your brain? Like originally? How’d you learn? Book? Internet? Experience?

Not doubting you one bit. Far from it, but where are you pulling this info from besides your brain? Like originally? How’d you learn? Book? Internet? Experience?
I kept a pest tank... so have had a range of misc nems. Had a few very similar nems.

That said, when I was doing ID for the ones I got before, I did find references that majanos can grow up to 1.5". ( and there are about 20+ sub-species in the family).

Similar nems from T&T Aquarium in their DT...some of these made their way into my pest tank. They don't really sting or cause much of a problem though according to the owner...

20180102_155608-jpg.644848

Old shots from my pest tank... (red tipped ones are gracilis / tulip nems)
20180101_040153-jpg.643906

A long time ago in an aquarium not so fat away, my brother bought a rock with many nice looking things; it turned out to be a rock of limited edition majanos. Back then we didn’t know, they just looked nice.
Better safe than sorry and isolate them.
Matt’s opinion seems to be the guideline; BTW @Matt_Wandell Are you back in SF’s CalAcademy?
No been working at MBA for 5 years now

Can you elaborate on what “Hawaiian anemones” are? There shouldn’t be any rock or coral coming out of Hawaii in a long time which is why I ask.

@NanoCrazed, they do look like the pics you posted ( no pink tips on mine though), and a quick online search of gracilis nems, pulls up very similar pics - to my eye they look like a highly green version of those.
Their sting looks to be very mild, they were brushing against a couple of zoas, and they didn't look annoyed. But... I don't really want anything that prolific in my tank right now, so they're going to stay in a jar, unless someone wants one or two to try out.

@NanoCrazed, they do look like the pics you posted ( no pink tips on mine though), and a quick online search of gracilis nems, pulls up very similar pics - to my eye they look like a highly green version of those.
Their sting looks to be very mild, they were brushing against a couple of zoas, and they didn't look annoyed. But... I don't really want anything that prolific in my tank right now, so they're going to stay in a jar, unless someone wants one or two to try out.
I had several varieties in my tank. These are definitely not tulips.

Small jar /pest tank is rewarding in its own right. Throw some aiptasia in it for fun!

I got the same ones... and that's where they will live...my restarted pest tank.
20210927_093640.jpg
20210927_093633.jpg

Back