Cali Kid Corals

Whats Going On Everyone?

How's it going? I just moved to the south bay area and I am looking to get back into a hobby I love! I have had complete freshwater planted tanks both high and low tech. I was over at Neptune Aquatics and was looking to start a new tank with cichlids, but after looking and asking a ton of questions I am thinking of going Saltwater. I have done a lot of research the last couple of days and I am very interested in a reef setup, because I like both fish and coral. Plus they look FANTASTIC!

So, I will admit I am a complete noob and almost need my hand held lol. I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to saltwater and the equipment needed. I was thinking of starting out with a 20gal, and if all goes well upgrade from there. Does anyone have any good resource's or advice to get me started? I have been browsing the forums here and over at norcalreefclub.org. Not sure where to start though. Looking start my tank this weekend and start cycling, but idk what I need. So that might be delayed lol.

Please any suggestions or info would be AMAZING right now. I am VERY ambitious!

Thanks!

Welcome! You're in the right place. There's a lot of info on here that will help you. 20 gallons might be a good start, but I would go with a 55 gallon. More water volume will give you more room for noob mistakes - which everyone makes. Also you'll want to upgrade fast ;)

Yes, welcome!
+1 on starting with a larger tank. Don't let the apparent simplicity of a nano-tank fool you.

Another suggestion, go buy a good book on marine tanks, and read it before buying anything.
Yes, these days you can find all the info online, but having it spelled out clearly is REALLY helpful.
One of my favorites was "The Conscientious marine aquarist" by Fenner. But there are cheaper/simpler ones.

Thanks for the reply's! I was talking with the person at Neptune Aquatics and I do have a empty 55gal, but the start up cost is A LOT higher. I am looking to dip my toe and see if its a good fit, then take the plunge lol.

The lady at N.A. said to start out with one of my smaller tanks which I have 2 10's and a 20. She said 20gal. I wanna keep it as natural as possible, and I know the more water volume the easier it is to maintain, the smaller the harder. I am willing to put in the time, but I don't have very many dimes lol.

After all my years with freshwater, live plants, breeding, and almost anything you can think of freshwater, I just need to make sure its all good. I know once I start, I will want more. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to be an oceanographer, and here is my chance to have it all the time lol.

+1 for the 55! Get it up and running! Start up cost doesn't have to be higher. People have a lot of stuff laying around from well....Their upgrades :D Even if it's a little more, might be worth it instead of upgrading in 6 months (if you can hold out for that long) and buying another whole set up

I'd also suggest doing a little bit of research before you take the plunge. A little reading will go a long way - Starting a new tank is fun and exciting but having a little background will save you $ and (some) headache. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is a good book but wordy and might be a little overwhelming if it's the first one read. There's a book 'The New Marine Aquarist' or something (don't remember) with a Bangaii Cardinal on the front which could be a good place to start. Very basic/simple and at less than $20, well worth it for a little starting place

Google works well too :D

Here's one - Haven't read it to be honest but looks like a good run through.

http://www.fishlore.com/reeftanksetup.htm

Don't worry it will cost you many times more than you think now. The shock will get you at some point, but so does the beauty continually. Be prepared for conversations if your budget is shared with someone else.

If someone says try this it is for beginners, ask them why it is considered beginner. You may not like the other thinks it is.

Bwahaha. Welcome to the darkside Luke.

Come to the meetings and chat. It's free. Sometimes we have free coral and cheato.

The brighterside unless your talking NPS corals... those are the true darkside ;)

Welcome Germ...

Anyways there are a number of ways you can start out, and regardless of what anyone tells you there is no "right way" to do it except maybe what you're doing now, which is asking questions trying to learn as much, etc.

A smaller tank (commonly referred to as "nanos") can be a good place to start as there are many kits out there where everything is all in one inclusive etc. So there's not much that needs to be done as far as additional equipment. They are a good learning tank because they do require you to keep a bit more of a watchful eye on parameters e.g. an overdose of food will pollute the water more than the same size overdose on a larger tank, so in that regard they're a bit more harder to "forget about" (lazy reefer) because if you do the tank could go kaput on you quicker than you think.

Larger tanks are nice too, but also a bit more work, you have to get quite a bit of additional equipment because its not in an all in one system. You need your returns (ask questions if the lingo is confusing/unknown!), more powerful pumps, more lighting (sometimes), more power heaters, etc. However they're a bit more forgiving, but you should note any downward spiral can still happen it just tends to happen more slowly, so if you're on top of things you'll hopefully catch it, if you're not on top of things and find it when its too late it often is a lot harder to fix.

One of the first things you need to ask yourself is what is it you're looking to keep in your saltwater tank, fish? corals? other things? This could easily point you in a direction as to what you'll need equipment wise. Also think about your life style, do you like to travel a lot? You might not want to get too deep into things because that often requires quite a bit more commitment as you'll need someone/thing to make sure your tank can operate when you are away.

FYI, I started out with a 10g tank that is sold all over the place (not a special reef tank)... that got my hooked, my next tank was 135 gallons... so just a warning :D

I have a "nano" tank and don't consider it harder to manage than a larger tank. In fact I think its easier, smaller water changes, smaller amounts of dosing and tweaking. Once its setup and you find the right levels its easy to maintain. Of course I want a larger tank, doesn't everyone?

The one thing I have learned from my latest tank, which was thrown together with very little if any planning is: PLAN AHEAD. Size doesn't matter as long as it is planned out and with the proper equipment from the start. It will save time, money and headaches later.

I would recommend starting small and cheap. That way you can learn a lot without costly mistakes. Then take everything you have learned and apply it to your larger tank. Also small tanks are easier to stock, $10 frags fill up a small tank but are barely noticeable in a bigger tank. Grow the frags out in the small tank and then move the larger colonies to the upgrade.

Note that a part of the small/large tank decision could be based on FISH choices.
You have both restrictions on inches of fish/gallon, and also minimum living/swimming space.
If you care about getting fish (many reefers don't), a suggestion is to look at the minimum tank requirements on the fish you like.
That 20 gallons is really limiting for fish. A good place to look that up is liveaquaria.com
Wanting a few nice tangs is a big part of what drove me to my latest upgrade. (75 -> 250)

rygh said:
Note that a part of the small/large tank decision could be based on FISH choices.
You have both restrictions on inches of fish/gallon, and also minimum living/swimming space.
If you care about getting fish (many reefers don't), a suggestion is to look at the minimum tank requirements on the fish you like.
That 20 gallons is really limiting for fish. A good place to look that up is liveaquaria.com
Wanting a few nice tangs is a big part of what drove me to my latest upgrade. (75 -> 250)

WHAT?
Inch per gallon? You know that rule is utterly bogus, right?

You can start out as FOWLR and slowly move your way to reef. FOWLR tanks don't last that long in this club. :D you don't need as much equipment for FOWLR.

Everyone thanks sooooo much! You all have been very helpful and nice!!!

Okay so, let's say I go with the 55 I have. It's glass non drilled and my stand would not allow a sump box, cuz it barley fit my Fluval 304 Canister filter. Also, at N.A. she said to stay away from canister filters. Now lets keep adding here. Would I need a protein skimmer? is it necessary? What else would I need?

Now let's say I go with a 20. I have a stand that holds a 20 on top and 10 on the bottom... I could use the bottom 10 as the sump box, or something else to give a total water volume of 30gal. Honestly i think this is the best option, since my 55 stand is crap lol.

To me the 55 is really going to take A LOT more time. I understand plan, thats what i am trying to do + learn along the way. The true way to learn is by doing. I do understand things will go wrong, i am new to saltwater. But 30gal volume should be alright, right? I am not looking to have a huge tank! even though i want to lol. That will come with time. AGAIN: I am just trying to test the water, not dive in(until i have some experience).

I have done a lot of reading at home and on my lunch break at work. There is tons of info, but none suggest what to get and why. I am going to look up those books suggested. But I guess what I am trying to do is utilize what I have and keep more money in my pocket, not buy new when i don't need it. I now this is asking for a little hand holding, but thats not what I am looking for. Just a point in the right direction.

When are the meetings?

Again THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP!!!!!! I am VERY appreciative!

The 20 gallon with 10 gallon sump sounds great. Definitely read read read read...and then read some more. Oh and ask questions. There are a lot of good people on here with a LOT of experience. Trust this place over other larger reef forums :)

rgonzalez said:
The 20 gallon with 10 gallon sump sounds great. Definitely read read read read...and then read some more. Oh and ask questions. There are a lot of good people on here with a LOT of experience. Trust this place over other larger reef forums :)

Hey, who told you that? :D

55g w/ 20g sump :) powerheads, return pump, lights, heaters, skimmer...LR, sand and you're good to go! :D Add some GSP and Kenya Tree and you've got a reef! :D :D

I vote for 20g with 10g sump and skimmer. Nothing fancy, just a good starter tank. I tell you as someone without a sump, GET A SUMP, it makes things so much easier. Also stay away from canister filters, big mess and nutrient traps.

Your total water volume will be less than 30g as the 10g sump should not be full to the top. So figure on 25g total water volume.

Edit: Do not skimp on the skimmer, it should be the most important part of your tank. It will also probably be the most expensive.

GreshamH said:
rygh said:

WHAT?
Inch per gallon? You know that rule is utterly bogus, right?
Agree!
But I am not really sure what else to say when someone completely new asks. I mean you cannot really jump right into
co2, surface area, amount they eat, swimming area, hiding spots, diet, personality, and all the other ton of variables.
For someone new, saying "1 inch of fish / 5 gallons" to start is a simple conservative number, that gets them
in the hobby with reasonable stocking, until they learn the details.

Back