Reef nutrition

Where has BAR been all my life?

Hello Everyone

I want to introduce myself to what seems to be an awesome community of Reef enthusiast located right in my backyard.

I have been maintaining SW aquariums for close to 8 years and have been expanding my mind with Reef tanks for the last two. That considered, i feel humbled by the depth of knowledge i have found in this site.

Beyond the level of the knowledge that i have found, i feel very welcomed by a community that appears to want nothing more that to help me become the most knowledgeable reefer i can be by helping me not make the mistakes that they may they have made somewhere along their path.

The philosophy of putting the animal first and doing our best as a community to increase our knowledge while limiting the removal of these animals from the wild is something that is lost in the world of Internet wholesalers pushing chemical fixes and livestock that should never have be removed in the first place and will never live a decent life. The future must be sustainable; and i know this is very un-american, but we dont have to get rich doing it.

I will be attending my first swap this weekend and look forward to meeting as many of you as possible while swapping a few of my softies for some of your goodies. Perhaps this will be the excuse that i have been looking for to try first SPS?

Thanks for your time and i hope that i can help any of you with any knowledge that i may have,

Edward

Don't worry you sound like many of us who were bumping around in the dark for a long while. I came into reefing much the same way starting out with the fish only tank, looking for more of a challenge and moving to a mixed reef, then on to stonies.

Be careful SPS can be like a bad drug once you start you just can't get enough.

What part of the Bay Area do you live in?

Thank you everybody for the welcome.

To let you know a little bit more about me and what i am working with i should say that i live in San Francisco and currently have two 50 gallons that i pour my time over. Both tanks are fairly well established and have been running for over a year consistently.

Most of my experience so far with corals has been with Mushrooms and Zoa's. Recently i have picked up a couple of acans, and they are fascinating me everyday.

I would like to learn more about both SPS and LPS, most notably chalices' and acans', and this seems like a great place to do it.. Perhaps i can even pick up some this weekend and the swap? Although my tanks are not abundant by any means compared to what i see here, i have a couple of my own frags to offer up to the community.

For as much as i am looking forward to the swap, i know that there is much more to offer here than a bi annual swap.

Thanks for taking me in and i cant wait to take part and ultimately give back the the DBTC cycle.

See you at the Newbie table

~Edward

Back