Neptune Aquatics

where is the SEARCH thing?

Maybe you missed the thread that said it's been disabled?

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/10406

The website has occasionally been extremely slow lately. I think the search module may be the primary culprit so I've disabled it for now. I'll see how that goes and then either re-enable it or install a different search engine.

I apologize for the inconvenience. If you really need to find something and can't please let me know and I'll try to help.

BTW, wrong place for this post. This is a Would It Be Great, an idea forum, not a place to post questions about the Web Site.

Web Site is the forum you seek :D

or, in google search box type:

site:bareefers.org thing you are searching for

example:

site:bareefers.org water parameters
site:bareefers.org baymac

I'd think that the google search is from their meta crawler which likely has a general membership account ..which means all member forum info is un searchable by that fashion

Tony is, as usual, correct.

Our hosting provider helped us with some other stuff that should improve performance. To me at least, it seems way faster today. This may mean that we can re-enable search but I want to gather some data for a couple days first.

GreshamH said:
BTW, wrong place for this post. This is a Would It Be Great, an idea forum, not a place to post questions about the Web Site.

I know, but Would It Be Great to have that search tool in here, instead of opening another tab/browser to use google? Or should I change the tittle to start with "Would It be Great to have a SEARCH tool in this Web Site"?

xinumaster said:
GreshamH said:

I know, but Would It Be Great to have that search tool in here, instead of opening another tab/browser to use google? Or should I change the tittle to start with "Would It be Great to have a SEARCH tool in this Web Site"?

Sorry but we had one and a notice was posted as to why (which you must have missed), and will have one again, so this thread was rightfully moved. Obviously others who have the power to move it thought the same way I did :p

pixelpixi said:
Tony is, as usual, correct.

Our hosting provider helped us with some other stuff that should improve performance. To me at least, it seems way faster today. This may mean that we can re-enable search but I want to gather some data for a couple days first.

Maybe allow the SEARCH to work only on registered or paid members if you are still worried about performance.

It's not the performance, it's the plug ins, they all suck, sorry. Erin is working on it and a thousand other things, it will be dialed in before you know it. Don't be afraid to ask "anyone know where *fill in the blank* is"?

Not scared one bit....

anyone know where *fill in the blank* is???

GreshamH said:
Not scared one bit....

anyone know where *fill in the blank* is???

In a Frank Zappa song on the epic two disk set, "The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life" (get it if you don't have it, best Frank EVER ;) ), Frank says to a deceased Bob Dylan, "you can fill in the blank right here Bob".

Before we figure out plugins etc, why not just add a text-box that links to google-search (with site:bareefers.org)? URL Link :
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%textfield%+site:bareefers.org

Yes, this won't give us the member-only forums, nor is it guarantee to give us everything in our site. For latter, we could easily enable Google SiteSearch to make it crawl our site more often etc.

Let me know if there's something i could help. Though, i admit i know nothing about drupal (except hearing horror stories about it).

we just need to make Google a member and then we can search all :p infact, make it BOD so that we can see the super secret batman-cave info!

Ah, OK. I was looking for it. I was looking for the search button so that I could search for "Where is the search button".
This is why RC disabled their search function too I guess. Unfortunately, I think lack of search really hamstrings the forums.

V

Vincerama2 said:
Ah, OK. I was looking for it. I was looking for the search button so that I could search for "Where is the search button".
This is why RC disabled their search function too I guess. Unfortunately, I think lack of search really hamstrings the forums.

V
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%textfield%+site:bareefers.org

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22where+is+the+search+thing%22+site%3Abareefers.org&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLG_en

I work for an email hosting company that also hosts websites. I spoke with one of our VPs and I could use my free hosting account for the club site. I don't know if you guys need free hosting or already have a free host but if you are interested PM me for details.

Back