High Tide Aquatics

Why does coral smell so bad?

I've read others say it smells like canned corn. Does to me.

So back to: "why does it smell", I searched: "what is the canned corn smell". A few leads just for the fun of it:
I walked by my ol’ neighbor Joe on the way out of my room. He had just returned from the hospital earlier that morning after receiving a stem cell transplant.
“You smell me?” he asked.
I leaned in and sniffed, but I didn’t have to inhale much. “Yeah. What is that?” I replied.
“Smells like creamed corn, eh?”
Apparently when stem cell transplant recipients are treated with stem cells harvested from their own body to treat a disease (don’t ask me how that works), they smell like creamed corn for a few days after their transplant. It has something to do with the preservatives they use to store the cells.

We are of the sea, evolutionary speaking. To think that stem cells -- human cellular building blocks; and our early hominin ancestors are what, 3m years old -- are preserved through science with something that smells like coral mucus, which has been around for like 300 million years. Seems fitting that these basic building blocks might have a beneficial relationship.

Fish like the smell of coral mucus:

And this from Journal of Food Science. If there's a connection to coral smell, please tell. I can't make heads or tails of this -- just a bunch of words to me:

ABSTRACT

Dimethyl sulfide (DMS) was the most abundant aroma volatile in cooked sweet corn head‐space, followed by ethanol, acetaldehyde, hydrogen sulfide (H2S), ethanethiol, methanethiol and another unidentified compound unique to processed corn. Based on sensory monitoring of GC column effluents, DMS was determined as the primary factor in cooked corn aroma along with H2S, methanethiol and, to a lesser degree, ethanethiol. Also detected in the effluents, but probably of lesser importance, were acetaldehyde, ethanol, and a “grainy” smelling compound in processed corn. When panelists were asked to score corn of widely varying characteristics for aroma, sweetness, texture and overall flavor, it was found that aroma contributed 15% to the flavor response while sweetness and texture contributed 55% and 30%, respectively.

Back