Jestersix

Woke up to this...

Man I know is like an epidemic in the city but I believe I was specifically targeted; nothing else but the head unit and GPS gone; good thing I have the detachable face; I believe the person responsible thought the GPS was the detachable face

I leave nothing inside for low-life people to be tempted precisely to "prevent" something like this...

004.jpg
002.jpg

Yup, pray bar markings; on the "bright" side, that plastic bezel was salvageable but the metal inside is all bent; I have the stock radio unit that will go back in place once I figure out how in hell to push the steel back; no more music on a stick, plain 680am.

Yeah that sucks, but blame San Francisco they hardly even punish these crimes even when they do catch the perps. Saw a special that talked about the difference sides of Geneva avenue, in SF county someone who's a repeat offender might serve 10 days in jail, on the other side of the street in San Mateo county, its 6 months to a year in jail.

A couple of months ago, I watched some douchebag break a car window on my street. He looked inside for a second and didn't even take anything. I called 911, and they actually caught the guy, but I saw him walking down my street a week later. Grrr... At least I got to see him in cuffs, lying on the sidewalk.

Yeah, I recall that report; Gusty lives not far from me and had his car's glass broken a few times. I try to park at spots where neighboring homes are in clear view of the car; not under heavily foliage trees, commercial buildings, bushy bushes... but when you come home late at night with your kids and know they have to get up early for church, any spot will do and most if Saturday evening due to Mission St. night life.
I've seen "young" people flash their phone lights at car's windows at dusk/night, looking for anything that might be of value; even confronted a couple of 'em (not soooo wise) but hey, they might get as nervous as I get and just go somewhere else...

So if they catch the guy does he end up having to pay for the damages? Seems like there's nothing to keep them from continuing to do it over again.

A few months ago a tourist couple came up to me and asked if I had seen anything to their car break in which was parked smack dab in front of my house. On my block and near Dolores park, car breakin is the norm. I said no but I happened to hold a sledge hammer coming out of my garage door. :) Of course, he didn't believe me and called the police. I was interviewed by the police and then I overheard the tourist saying to the police that he lost $10k in a Mickey Mouse backpack:) At that point, I thought game's over and get outa here! :)

Oh, in my hood we don't just get car break-ins. Last year or the year before, we had cars getting torched and luckily my car parked next to the torched car was not damaged.

So if they catch the guy does he end up having to pay for the damages? Seems like there's nothing to keep them from continuing to do it over again.
I would guess not unless you sue him for civil damages, which is entirely possible and probably an easy win but then it's up to you to collect from them. The criminal court side of thing will only return anything they catch him with that was yours.

back when I was going to SFSU I'd park on Juniper Serra and they broke my window to get at my ash tray that had change in it, the upside is he only got a couple bucks at most, the downside is the window cost $100 or so to replace (luckily it was one of those cheap quarter windows).... but when things like this happen it really takes me as the victim to a very dark place, like "yeah he broke my window, I should be able to break his hand with a sledge hammer" or "Saudi Arabia's law on thieves isn't really that harsh..."

Happens. My last car was almost jacked in the middle of the night if it wasn't for the immobilizer chip on the key. Proximity alarm and all that, but that doesn't help if the alarm power is cut. The steering column was all jacked and it spent a couple of weeks at the shop for ~$8k of repairs.

I would guess not unless you sue him for civil damages, which is entirely possible and probably an easy win but then it's up to you to collect from them. The criminal court side of thing will only return anything they catch him with that was yours.

Since they know who it is and it's probably public record ... go to HIS house and take something of his :p

When I lived in SF, I rode a motorcycle. One day, I parked, took off my helmet and gloves, put the gloves on the seat, walked into my apartment, realized I left my gloves on the seat so I went back outside ... and they were already gone.

Back