Kessil

Wrasses and topless tank?

I saw some sweet naoko wrasses at AC yesterday and was super tempted.

But... I equally would hate having a top. So far I enjoy being able to freely work in the tank.

So on the what is the probability that I'll end up with fish jerky?

Also has anyone DIY a thing to prop screen to up so you don't have to move the whole thing out of the way? Kinda like the same idea as car hood?

Your mileage will vary. I have had a six-line jump. I currently have a leopard wrasse and a radiant wrasse and they've been happy for 3-4 months.

I have a wrasse-less tank. It's not that I haven't purchased Wrasses. It's that they all have jumped. I even have the Innovative Marine mesh top on mine and they have still all leaped to their death.

My Klein Butterfly jumped, landed on my "fish deflector" that covers my overflow ... but since it wasn't tilted, he got stuck there and the Metal Halides fried him :(

V

My 6-line wrasse was found on the ground a few days after I added a new fish. I had seen the wrasse attack the new fish several times in torpedo-like fashion - new fish would dodge the attack and he'd almost come out of the water. So I guessed what must have happened was he launched toward the fish swimming above him, the new fish dodged like a matador, and the wrasse flew out of the tank. So, I would say everything depends on how the wrasse gets along with the other fish. I think most fish jumps are probably caused by skirmishes.

I bought another 6 line wrasse later and he's been in the topless tank over a year I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mccoskers wrasse jumped out a few years ago during maintenance. I have tops that cover the openings in the tank, but took them off for maintenance. Since then, none have jumped out and I have 7 wrasses. top is definitely necessary.

Back