Kessil

Yellow Turbinaria

Here is my first DBTC so please let me know if I'm doing it wrong. I also have the green M. Cap that I got from screebo which is ready to go out. Where do I find the DBTC for that piece?

I got a frag of red Turbinaria with orange polyps from Green Marine. It broke into two pieces, the smaller piece is glued to a frag plug. You can see it in the picture below.

Pick a number, return a frag if I lose mine, return to the chain before trading outside. Pickup in downtown San Jose or possibly meet somewhere near there.

From Reef

I'm glad to see you are DBTC'ing the smaller piece. I usually will toss secondary pieces in with the frag if they happen to break off during fragging. And not to detract from this corals beauty, but I usually describe it as brown with yellow polyps. LOL!

Nudibranch,

Sorry I couldn't give you the coral. I didn't ask what type of tank you have and if you were able to keep stony corals. I was about your age when I started keeping fish so it was really cool to meet you. You should write up a tank build thread and I'm sure we can find you some corals to go with your setup.

This frag is still up for grabs. Please let me know if you are interested and what your tank specs are or if you have a tank build thread.

To find a DBTC that you need to pass on, you can look in the history of threads you've posted on. You can also use a google search including bareefers.org in the query.

Just a note - If you're going to deny people a frag, you should probably spell that out in your requirements for the DBTC.

That said, I don't think the piece you have is a 'red tubinaria'. I'm fairly sure they don't come in that color. From your pic, it looks like a yellow. I got a frag through DBTC so there's already a DBTC thread for that already as seen here:

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/10412

Just add your piece to this thread and you're good to go. ;)

iCon said:
To find a DBTC that you need to pass on, you can look in the history of threads you've posted on. You can also use a google search including bareefers.org in the query.

Just a note - If you're going to deny people a frag, you should probably spell that out in your requirements for the DBTC.

That said, I don't think the piece you have is a 'red tubinaria'. I'm fairly sure they don't come in that color. From your pic, it looks like a yellow. I got a frag through DBTC so there's already a DBTC thread for that already as seen here:

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/10412

Just add your piece to this thread and you're good to go. ;)

Great, thanks for the info. I will post this under the other thread. I'm still getting the hang of this. :lol:

Greg, It was cool that you chose the coral first when deciding who to give the frag to. That is what BAR is all about. Husbandry of the animals we are fortunate to have pass through our care.

We all learn to use a little research to find out who the recipient is, when we have not met previously. Some only give to those with active tank thread, and you can put that in the description next time, or change the description of this coral by editing your first post. You should be able to edit the thread name to yellow turbinaria. As far as research you can click on any members name and go see their history with DBTC.

I do not see a reason to add this frag to another chain. There are multiple chains for some corals. Each chain follows lineage as well as who has grown out the coral and how many times it has been passed around. Very good to say in the intro where you picked up this coral. I do see you have already posted to the other turb chain. OK to leave it either place, just be sure to update the status of each thread to show where the frag went.

Congratulations on getting your first chain started!

yardartist said:
Greg, It was cool that you chose the coral first when deciding who to give the frag to. That is what BAR is all about. Husbandry of the animals we are fortunate to have pass through our care.

We all learn to use a little research to find out who the recipient is, when we have not met previously. Some only give to those with active tank thread, and you can put that in the description next time, or change the description of this coral by editing your first post. You should be able to edit the thread name to yellow turbinaria. As far as research you can click on any members name and go see their history with DBTC.

I do not see a reason to add this frag to another chain. There are multiple chains for some corals. Each chain follows lineage as well as who has grown out the coral and how many times it has been passed around. Very good to say in the intro where you picked up this coral. I do see you have already posted to the other turb chain. OK to leave it either place, just be sure to update the status of each thread to show where the frag went.

Congratulations on getting your first chain started!

Thanks Richard.

It wasn't I who said nudibranch couldn't have the coral, he made the right decision. What happened was he showed up to get the frag and I offered him my m. cap frag as well, he said no, he couldnt keep stony corals. After I told him the turb was a stony coral he politely refused and I ended up giving him some of my halimeda algae, the only thing I had to give him. He was a good sport about it, I felt really bad since he drove so far to pick up the piece. I will definitely make better threads in the future to prevent this from happening again.

I shouldn't start a thread for a coral I didn't grow out. I really owe it to Jim since its his coral, I just happened to get an extra piece. I want the coral out of my tank since its so small (valuable real estate) but I want to make sure it goes to a good home as well.

Any takers for a very nice frag?

I shouldn't start a thread for a coral I didn't grow out. I really owe it to Jim since its his coral, I just happened to get an extra piece. I want the coral out of my tank since its so small (valuable real estate) but I want to make sure it goes to a good home as well.

I personally would have done exactly what you did and posted a new thread :) Pretty sure yours is a little different then the other thread, doesn;t it have a yellow leading edge while the one in the new thread does not?

I knew some other people would chime in on the 'if to start a new thread or just add onto another one' - Thanks guys. I wasn't sure but it made sense to me that 50 threads of yellow tubinaria would clutter things more than need be. In any case, separate threads are better for lineage...

GreshamH said:

I personally would have done exactly what you did and posted a new thread :) Pretty sure yours is a little different then the other thread, doesn;t it have a yellow leading edge while the one in the new thread does not?

It does look different than I remember. The mother colony looked darker red/brown and it did have a yellow edge. Could just be lights but I think this one looks better.

I have this coral and it is a VERY slow growing one. I probably gor 3-4 sq inches in last 2 years.
The one I have is dark reddish base and yellow polyps and yellow rim.

Huh mine grow like gangbusters. How much light are you giving it? Mine is near the top and gets a ton of flow (which helps shape them better)

Well, mine was not in best conditions, considering my old tank. It was always mid-tank with low flow. I'll try to move it closer to powerhead then.

Only move it closer if you're going to give it more light IME.

Greg I added the frag given to scuba71 to this chain for you. If you had selected the add a frag tab on the first post it would have shown you how to add each.

Back