Zeroinverse seahorse tank

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by zeroinverse, Jul 31, 2013.

1. zeroinverse

zeroinverse Guest

It might be a while before I fully set this up... That said, I found a great 48 gallon tall tank.

28" high, 18" wide, 16" deep.
    Interesting footprint and should make for great vertical space for seahorses. Hopefully it won't be TOO tall.

Still debating on doing a false back wall for filtration or just hang on back.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375296870.125015.jpg

denzil likes this.
  2. monkeybiz

monkeybiz Guest

Nice looking tank. I'd probably do hob with those dimensions, but I'm also on the lazy side.

But I could see it being somewhat hard cleaning out detritus behind the false wall on a tank that tall.

3. tr1gger

tr1gger Keyboard Cowboy

I agree, too tall for a AIO. Unless you didnt run it all the way to the bottom of the tank. Say just a 8" X 18" X 6"
    chamber for equipment. Almost the same layout as a coast to coast in tank overflow box. Could work!

4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Could drill it and go with a sump.

5. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Guest

I agree about the height making an AIO difficult. I can just barely manage to deal with stuff in the bottom of my chambers on mine and its only 20" tall. If you go the HOB route, just keep in mind you'll have to have some sort of guard for the heater so the seahorses can't hitch onto it and burn themselves.

Nice tank though! The height will be great for seahorses. I'm excited someone else is going to do seahorses!

6. zeroinverse

zeroinverse Guest

Given the ideas thus far, I may still create a false wall, but a "holey cryptic refugium" on the bottom half. Then just have the "skimmer/filter/photosynthetic refugium be in the TOP half". The top half will be sealed while the bottom half will just be exposed to the display water. It is more of an area for microfauna to hide & propogate.

Although I may put a "water flush" piping near top so I can attach a water pump to blow into that bottom half to blow up detritus out of that bottom half and mechanical filter it as needed.

Good ideas! Keep them coming.

As for drilling it, I know the bottom glass is tempered. Not sure about the side panels, but I do like the idea of making this as much of an AIO as possible. Will make it look a bit cleaner.

It is a bit tall, so I may fill it up 6" of deep sand bed so I won't have to reach as deep into tank if things fall to the bottom.

7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

How will you control temps?

8. zeroinverse

zeroinverse Guest

move to cooler area? We are considering moving eventually to Berkeley for our kids education...

But more seriously, run LEDs, run one koralia (or maybe MP10) to minimize heat.

Maybe run a thermoelectric chiller (or plumb in my 1/4" HP chiller.

Anyother Ideas?

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Auto Top off with a fan across the surface on a controller or a chiller. I've found 75 or below to be best.

10. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Guest

I like the "move to Berkeley" option, haha! I think I may actually be able to keep my tank at 74-75 with no chiller most of the year. I filled up my tank with room temperature RO/DI last night and that water was at 70F. I've got a heater running to keep it at 74. For your tank, I think running LEDs and a fan will help a lot. Also, the MP10 is a good idea because it won't put any additional heat into the tank. Also, with seahorses, having that adjustable flow will be REALLY nice. I'd like to put one in my new tank, but they're just so expensive. Maybe after I save up some more.

zeroinverse likes this.
  11. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Use the foam guard on mp10

zeroinverse and FeliciaLynn like this.
  12. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Guest

Yes! Definitely this! I am using a Koralia in my tank for now and I have it covered with a couple of the MP10 foam guards. Seahorses snouts and tails will end up getting sliced if you don't block off all pump and powerhead intakes.