Jestersix

ZnP cleaning - Not so good experience...

iCon

Supporting Member
Will spell out the brief details first, more to come.

Was working with this stuff for a prolonged period of time... Lots of corals, scrubbing, etc. etc. etc. After about 30 minutes of use - Cold like symptoms. Nose, cough, sneezing. Ok... Who knows. After about 45 min/hour- Throat started getting tight/swollen and lots more coughing. Mario and I were both working on this stuff and the symptoms all occurred at about the same time for both of us.

Seems to be the same thing that happens if you work with bleach in an enclosed area... (stupid, yes) but the only way I know is because it happened to an unknowing family member when I was growing up. Someone trying to be helpful when they had no previous cleaning experience...

That said - No warning labels on the bottle. It's not bathroom cleaning stuff but if it has something that can become harmful with prolonged exposure, this absolutely has to be disclosed.

Only reason I'm using it now is because of the sample from last BAYMAC. Still think it's a great product and works well... However, strongly advise using with caution particularly because of the swap coming up and people may be exposed to this stuff for longer than normal times.

You should write to Phillip @ CoralRX and let him know your experience. Be calm, rational and factual. If he is like me he will appreciate being informed.

^ Absolutely. I am rather rational... Most of the time :) Just more want people to be aware. Obviously, I should have known better just taking the smell into consideration but when you're working on a tank.. time flies.

So... Do you know what's in it? :D Pine Sol and bleach?

Sure smells like my mop bucket but i doubt its pinesol :lol:

I think that is awesome feedback for them and if it was my business I would be thankful for it :)

Good watching out for your fellow reefers... kudos

GreshamH said:
Sure smells like my mop bucket but i doubt its pinesol :lol:

I think that is awesome feedback for them and if it was my business I would be thankful for it :)

Good watching out for your fellow reefers... kudos

Dying is not on my immediate agenda and I'm sure it's not on any of yours. :)

I do plan on dying someday though :) but yes, I prefer life over death :lol:

Philip suggested palytoxins... Thought about that but the exposure to palys/zoos was pretty limited. No cutting etc and I don't have any open wounds/cuts etc nor was it ingested for a point of entry... Definitely came through inhalation. Will monitor it today and if it gets worse...The hospital is relatively close by... IMO - inconclusive. Just can't see how something with that kind of smell is not toxic after x amount of time.

We worked the whole time with a door open for ventilation; the zoanthids/palys were dipped mainly in peroxide.
I could not sleep at all, legs aching, shivering, fever and hard to breath; around 4:00am had to get up to the bathroom and vomit.
I came out from a severe cold/flu and still had bit of a runny nose but the CRX made us both sneeze and had what seemed an open water faucet for a nose. Honestly we were competing with the corals on producing slime !!
Feeling better now but playing it safe; will keep myself in check with the Dr.

Gotta go, my kids have to go to school...

seminolecpa said:
I just used it for about 1-2 hours straigh last night with no ill effects. Was only using on Acros though.

Yeah I've never had issues before..Zoos/lps/sps.. Might be a combination of fumes with palytoxins? Airborne palytoxins...???

tuberider said:
xcaret said:
the zoanthids/palys were dipped mainly in peroxide.
There's your answer.

Peroxide makes palytoxin airborne? Changed the title as to not make it seem like I'm bashing their product.. That stuff works. Still, I find it hard to believe that breathing in Pinesol for 2 hours is completely harmless

iCon said:
tuberider said:
xcaret said:
There's your answer.

Peroxide makes palytoxin airborne? Changed the title as to not make it seem like I'm scebashing their product.. That stuff works. Still, I find it hard to believe that breathing in Pinesol for 2 hours is completely harmless
The bubbling action of the peroxide will def. make it go airborn. I know a few that very messed up due to it going airborn.

Try working in an old folks home, you'll find Pine Sol to be annoying, but not something that will case symptoms similar to Palytoxin. The H2o2 atomized the toxin, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts on that one, it takes a minute amount of the toxin to create symptoms and the micro fine nature of bubbles created by the H2O2 can get down into the lungs easily.

GreshamH said:
iCon said:
tuberider said:
xcaret said:
There's your answer.

Peroxide makes palytoxin airborne? Changed the title as to not make it seem like I'm scebashing their product.. That stuff works. Still, I find it hard to believe that breathing in Pinesol for 2 hours is completely harmless
The bubbling action of the peroxide will def. make it go airborn. I know a few that very messed up due to it going airborn.

Gah....Didn't know that. All I've heard was to be careful with cuts and such. I think the answer is no more z/p. We're over!

tuberider said:
Try working in an old folks home, you'll find Pine Sol to be annoying, but not something that will case symptoms similar to Palytoxin. The H2o2 atomized the toxin, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts on that one, it takes a minute amount of the toxin to create symptoms and the micro fine nature of bubbles created by the H2O2 can get down into the lungs easily.
Speaking of doughnuts...
How are those home made doughnuts coming along for the swap?
Personally, I like apple fritters.

Back