Reef nutrition

Zoa dangers.

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
So last month I purged a bunch of zoas out of my garage tanks. On my way to the trash I must of dropped a few.
Friday my girlfriend calls me freaking out that our dog is vomiting everywhere. Of course I'm stuck at work so I tell her to take him to the vet. As soon as she gets there he starts to have bloody diarrhea all over the office waiting room.
I go straight to the vet after I get off work. They want to keep him over night. At this point we have no idea what's going on with him.
I get home around 10pm and start cleaning up the mess. After washing the bedding I notice two little piles of zoas in my washing machine. Yep, he ate them. Of course I start freaking out and calling the vet. They were closed.
The next day as soon as they open I call the vet and explain what I had found. The person on the phone has no idea what I'm talking about. I finally speak to the vet and he has no idea what palytoxin is either. I call ASPCA poison control and I open up a case with them and pass that number to the vet.
He seemed to be improving, getting a little better each day. Yesterday, after being hospitalized since Friday, they inform me that his kidney numbers are very high. Today we had to put him down.

I don't mean to be a Debby downer but I just want to remind people be careful when handling stuff in and around your tank.

That's awful to hear Eric.

Just as a warning for others, it can be aerosolized so do not chop/boil/scrub in an enclosed space without a respirator. The toxin also is stable even after treating with high temperature or being left out and dried for weeks in the sun. CDC recommends using 10%, bleach to inactivate and you can see how little is lethal to mammals in the discussion here:

Only a few micrograms of toxin in your bloodstream can kill you. Another good resource for people to read:

To read about this happening to one of our canine friends early in the morning is bad enough, but to have lived it and it being your dog… So sorry Eric.

Thanks for reminding us of the potential dangers.

Very sorry to hear Eric. Losing a dog and a dear friend is something many of us probably know and feel your sadness with. I hope your story is a reminder for people and prevents a future situation.

Eric I’m so sorry to hear this. I had some trouble sleeping last night imagining what you are going through. Just so bummed for you :(

Do you know which ones were the culprits? Was it the Captain Jerks?

Back