got ethical husbandry?

Zoa Toxin might not be a myth. I have the eye to prove it.

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
Got your attention, huh? Here's the 411:
On Saturday I was cutting two small rocks apart that were joined by zoos when something squirted in my eye. I didn't imeadiately rinse it out but spent a few frantic moments searching online about the dreaded zoa toxin. I decided that I'd just rinse it out and see how it was the next day. Well the next day my eye was all red in the corner, like I hadn't slept in two days and it was a little irritated. I made some home made saline solution from RO water and waited another day. I did the same thing on Monday because it hadn't gotten better but really hadn't gotten much worse. I knew something was wrong because my vision was blurry through my refractometer but I assumed it was just the excess water in my eye. Now, on Tuesday it was still as bad, if not slightly worse. Luckily for me I cut my thumb pretty bad and had to get stitches. So, I had a serious reason to get to the doctor. She looked at my eye, after sewing me up, and said there was a little damage to the cornea but nothing serious and prescribed me some antibiotic eye drops. By Wednesday my eye was clear and when my wife came home on Thursday she said she couldn't se any redness in my eye at all. Oh, and my vision is back to normal.

So, was it zoa toxin, bacteria or just abrasion from salt/grit, I'll never know. What I do know is I'm about to put on my first pair of safety glasses ever while working on my tank. ;D

I like how you went the reefer way of dealing with this.

-Made saline solution from RO water
-Tested your vision using a refractometer
-Went to the doctor when you had a REAL problem :D

I don't think your problem was caused by actual "palytoxin". If it was, it would have been way worse. Any kind of slime from coral can cause what happened to you. It has actually happened to me on a few occasions. I now try to wear some goggles when doing any kind of fragging. For me my eyes feel really dry and vision is blurry for a couple of days.

TTIWWOP.gif

I'm glad you're better Matt, and that there was no serious damage. Still, a scary experience.

I'll be more careful when handling all those Palys and Zoas you gave me... :-

Back