got ethical husbandry?

Zoanthid Experts

My Zoas seem to shut for a day or two then open then partially open then close I don understand why ? its a 30 gallon tank with a chiller ...nothing else in the tank except a few hermits and snails I have ruled out parasites ..here are my parameters ...
Nitrate..0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Calcium 500
(KH) Carbonate 8 dhk ppm 143.2
Phosphate 0
Salinity 1.024.5
Tempt 79 Have tried 81 with no change
Ph 8.2
165 W Radiance LED Light
Things stay pretty stable only thing I haven't tested was Alkalinity as I dont have a test kit but ordered one

I put new ones in the tank from the Frag swap yesterday and they are open but slowly shutting up ..the ones that have been in the tank for months keep going through the cycle of open then closing for a few days Etc ... the tank is about a year old

It very well could be alkalinity as they're sensitive to changes in alkalinity. If I were you, I'd do a waterchange while I wait for the test kits to arrive. My personally reefing philosophy is why test when the solution to 90% of problems is to simply do a waterchange (Granted I have 14 gallon so this is a lot easier then it is for most folks)

OH, so if it's a repeated problem. Is it ALL of your zoas (like different types?) or just one group? because Sometimes zoas are just finicky like that for no good reason while other zoas are perfectly happy.

Ill take your advice and do the water change in the means time.. but being that I have no fish and I do 20 % changes per week I kinda feel like the tank is clean but wouldnt hurt... I use reef crystal salt... maybe I should go a bit higher end on the salt?

likewise I have read through the forum as to not ask questions that have already been asked but figured if I put up my parameters it might clue someone to something

My zoas all go through cycles of open/close/open/close. Though they are more often open than closed and when they open, they open fully.

Are they extended or close to the rockwork/plug? Do they slime up when they close up? Alk variance can cause them to do that. Reg wc will help with that.

Only corals in the tank are Zoas?

Okay cool . Well let us know when you get the results Don't know where you're located but if you really don't want to wait you're welcome to borrow our alk tests in the meantime (San Mateo). Stupid/beautiful zoas lol.

I'm confused, didn't you already post the alk results? What kits are you testing everything else with?
Maybe too intense lighting? What's your photoperiod like?
How have you "ruled out" pests?
Do your zoas touch each other a lot or are they spaced out pretty well?
You have no fish? I would say get at least one. Tank could be too clean...corals need some n and p...

I'm no zoa expert, but I do have quite a few in my 25 gal. 2 points @Coral reefer mentions, I'll second. All of mine are in low light parts of the tank (partial shade and/or bottom, 10 hour lights on) and they may need a little NO3 & PO4, which most tanks get from feeing the fish. Mine close up when hermits or shrimp walk over them, but only for a few minutes, and are usually open when the lights are on.

Thanks everyone for chiming in .. so Im guessing its a light issue ... So the zoas in my refugium with a cheap 15w led light are doing great !!! the ones in the main tank are so so ..my guess is the led is to much for them .. or maybe there are little bugs in the main tank irritating them that are not in the refugium.. btw the refugium is bare bottom no sand ... and my last thought is maybe the lack of water flow in the refugium is keeping them happy as my main tank has a bunch of flow... so I will eliminate one by one ...again thanks for your time guys awesome community

So many factors to consider, hope you're able to figure it out quickly. Let us know when you figure out what the issue was. :) don't be afraid to ask for any other advice on reef related matters. We may not always have the answers but we're happy to help you brainstorm ideas and solutions. That's what we're here for :)

Can't help more if you don't answer my questions from before, but curious as to how much flow you have in the main tank? Maybe you should start a tank journal so we can put the whole equation together more easily.

sorry was checking answers on my phone and accident skipped over most of your answers... rules out pest because I used a flashlight at night and a mag glass to search for them.. but truth be it there could still be some ... i used saltwater master kit to test it checks multiple parameters but not alk... unless one of these is alk ?
Nitrate..0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Calcium 500
(KH) Carbonate 8 dhk ppm 143.2
Phosphate 0
Salinity 1.024.5
my zoas range from an inch apart to five or six inches apart only frags so nothing more than 5 or 6 polys
the flow consist of overflow... and two korola 425 and a canister filter that gets cleaned often only has fiber floss in it hooked inline with my chiller ...think ur right a fish might be useful

Dkh and alkalinity are the same thing.

I would recommend getting a better alkalinity test kit made by Red Sea or Salifert.

The API calcium and alkalinity test kits are not conisidered accurate by most people.

Im betting your light settings are the issue.

Back